Terrace Chair

One thing that I definitely miss after moving to South Carolina from Wisconsin is sitting on the Terrace at the University of Wisconsin Memorial Union on a warm summer night listening to live music and enjoying a few beers with friends. The Terrace chair is iconic to any UW grad, so I decided to make my own. Designed and modeled in Fusion 360, the chair was 3D printed on an Anycubic Kobra Max, and the chair seat and back is lasercut :glowforge: :proofgrade: thick acrylic. Just a piece of nostalgia for my personal collection.

When I worked at the University of Wisconsin in the summers at the Lifesaving Station on Lake Mendota, we would go down to the Terrace many evenings after work. I worked there for 25 summers, and captured the chairs through photography over the years. Here are a few of my favorite pics:

Pole aerial photography panoramic comprised of ~20 images captured from the Rescue boat. Pre-drone era low level aerial photography. This pano of the terrace has both a full moon and sunset, and was taken shortly before the Rhythm & Booms fireworks. I worked as a lifeguard on this pier in the summer of 1992.

I’ve done a few other designs that incorporate the Terrace sunburst design.

33 Likes

Holy smokes, I thought it was a real chair! What’s the scale on that?

12 Likes

17" Tall

10 Likes

I can feel the nostalgia from here; that’s an awesome memento. I love that sunup–sundown photo.

10 Likes

Wow that’s impressive!

7 Likes

Those turned out great. You used the full build height on the Kobra Max.

Did you use PLA or PETG for the print? I get good results with both, but still want to tweak my PETG settings. I’m going to try ABS next. I just bought a spool.

7 Likes

Wow, love all those bright colors! What a festive place! And your replica is perfect!

7 Likes

Pla

3 Likes

Just for curiosity I hunted one. I know any metal chair is higher cost than you generally are willing to spend, but I think they are taking advantage of the alumni here at a cost of $455.00 for a Terrace Chair (armless)
Nice compromise in making one for the nostalgia itch. (and you are probably now wishing you had liberated one during one of the beer runs).

5 Likes

We pulled the 2 green ones (pictured above) off the bottom of Lake Mendota when I worked for the UW Lifesaving station, and could have easily kept those. It’s more obvious that you didn’t buy them when they’re not red or white, so I just chose to not have to worry about it. I did a photo shoot with the green ones and then think we brought them back to the terrace. If I knew I was moving, I probably would have kept them. It wasn’t stealing, more like salvage off the bottom!

7 Likes

Nice project! I love all the photos … both chairs and shadows. Awesome.

6 Likes