Texas Jeans

Being born and raised in Texas, I used the passthrough function of the GF pro to engrave “She’s like Texas” down one pant leg and a merge of the Austin/Dallas/Lubbock skylines down the other. The passthrough function did the “She’s like Texas” perfectly but the skylines required me to manually realign the image.

I was going for a worn look (to make the already worn out look on the jeans) and so after engraving it I then pulled at the design to add a little more fraying. I then used interfacing and fray check to lock it all in once I felt there was enough fraying. Results:

I will be doing a thread on all things fabric in the Beyond the Manual section and will post the settings there.

37 Likes

Fabulous! (I’d be afraid that engraving my jeans would cause them to fall apart, but the effect is definitely cool!) :grinning:

7 Likes

Neat effect and great alignment!

5 Likes

I had that happen once but when I started using interfacing and fray check it has been able to hold together well. Although I am not doing high strain in them.

6 Likes

I guess one could go the other way also and create a stencil for bleaching, etc.

Or maybe use the beta speeds for raster images to bleach the dye in darker fabrics (a lot of times faster speeds with just the right power will cause things to go lighter).

7 Likes

Skyline looks really great

3 Likes

These look very cool!

2 Likes

When I was a student I lived in a really cold house, we didn’t have heating, just an electric bar fire in the living room (shared house). I was so cold and used to stand in front of the fire trying to keep warm, one day I noticed my jeans were sort of going this colour on the back of my legs, wonder how far they had been from actually igniting?!

3 Likes

Pretty cool. But couldn’t you have modeled them for us, to give us the full effect? :grin::grin:

2 Likes

Lol I would be so paranoid.

1 Like

Lol maybe when it’s not so hot outside! The weather changed out of nowhere.

Maybe one day I will organize a fashion show of all my makes, until then I will keep putting it off lol.

4 Likes

I stopped standing so close to it as soon as I realised! :rofl:

3 Likes

:+1::+1:

2 Likes

Texas is big, but I am sure you had a different approach. (this has been pre-groaned for your pleasure).

Anyway, I imagine once seared the fabric would have to be settled or sealed in some manner. How would you do that?
Even a little nick on jeans eventually unravels.

1 Like

So right now I am depending on interfacing and fray check to lock in and prevent unraveling. If I strain the jeans too much then I might sew the design to lock it in:

https://blog.treasurie.com/how-to-keep-fabric-from-fraying/

But I also picked jeans that were already frayed and so the additional fraying (of/when that happens) just adds to its style.

4 Likes

Another Texas skyline make I did. Started as 3 yards of white satin and made the bodice and then dip dyed the sunset and used my cricut to cut the skyline out of glitter fabric. Thinking of making another one along the lines but yet the glowforge with cork fabric.

6 Likes

Congress Bridge?

Super cool!

1 Like

Yup! This is the whole design. I tried to have the fridge at the bottom have the effect of bluebonnets. The fringe at the top is black with silver music notes tied into it.

7 Likes

I bet people went batty over that!

4 Likes

I see what you did there.

3 Likes