Thanks for the new file! (Spirograph)

Kind of flimsy instructions, though. Not clear to me how you assemble it. I’ll have to study the diagrams again.

5 Likes

they’ve all been without instructions. i wouldn’t mind something that showed some assembly info.

4 Likes

Yay! I love spirographs - haven’t played around with one in years though. Looking forward to making this one.

1 Like

Very nice. Makes me wonder whether the lawyers are on vacation, though. First the dodgy contest, now tickling the trademark dragon.

5 Likes

I had to go and look to see the trademark status. Just renewed last year!

Either way, it’s a great freebie, even if the name should probably change.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Oh yeah, but mine didn’t come with a case. :smile:

2 Likes

Hmmm is there something about the new layout I am missing? Was there an SVG or something I missed? I know about Spirographs and as you can see from my Avartar am up to my ears playing with the Mirrograph App but wondering if it is a bug in the new system.

It is the file from the “week of making”. The download is in the gfui.

https://app.glowforge.com/

2 Likes

Cool! Thank you very much!I guess I missed several, I thought it was changing every month and did not think to look for more.

They’re all still listed there…go get them before they go away. (Click all the blue links at the little gift.)

2 Likes

DUN thanks

Hypotrochoid art is the okay term.

4 Likes

They’ve now changed it to Spiro-toy. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Whew, I was worried I just couldn’t read, and completely missed it someplace else. :slight_smile:

It’s a great gift … love that it has a case.

2 Likes

7 Likes

I needed a gift for a niece. So, I made one of the “spiral design tools.” This was a quick and easy build and, seems like it will be fun.

The PDFs are a little shy on instructions but, it was fairly straightforward.

I made mine from PG Medium Maple Plywood (base and middle layer) and Medium Clear Acrylic (geared discs and cover). This left me with a duplicate set of maple ply gear pieces for my own entertainment. The clear acrylic pieces are preferable since you can’t see what is happening through the wood.

I annealed the acrylic pieces to increase their durability.

The wooden portion of the middle layer is attached to the bottom with CA glue, except for the double-serrated spacer, which I left loose to minimize issues with being able to get the pieces in and out of the case. The base of the pivot piece is similarly CA glued to the base (where the engraved glue well is).

The acrylic pieces fit into the wood case snugly but, not so snugly they are difficult to remove. The wood pieces (which are surplus in this case), however, can be challenging to remove from the case.

The cover stays closed well enough for keeping where it won’t get shuffled around too heartily. Inverting or turning sideways, the cover is likely to fall open.

Obviously, pencil isn’t optimal for this but, it is what I had handy. Several cheap ballpoints and rollerballs in the studio all turned out to be dried up. Note that the holes in the smaller disc are too small for any of the ballpoints.

9 Likes

I put one together for my sister - it used to be her favorite toy. Took me days to figure out how it was going to go together, but figured it out too. Did top and bottom in maple ply; rings etc, in clear acrylic. Sorry, no photo.

2 Likes

@evermorian how did you get the words and the arroows deleted off of the top acrylic piece as well as the bottom draft board. I was able to remove some. but not all. I think that there is something I am missing or something that I m doing wrong. Just like with the blast gate vent… There is a piece on that file that mine turned out differently from everyones. I am going to find a way to explain this. I will ry to do a quick video