Thanksgiving Turkeys

Aww man I got caught lol. Thanks

5 Likes

And it’s much faster to get stuff. If your slots were just a little off you’d be out of water for the holidays. If you had an issue with your own laser you’d just fix it and re-do the job before the one you ordered from Ponoko left their shipping dock.

5 Likes

Curious, how much did they charge for that? How big of a sheet? And what kind of material?

2 Likes

Absolutely!! I’m immensely grateful to @smcgathyfay for taking the time to test and adjust the kerf. Otherwise I would have had to send a rush job with a few different kerf values to test it out, and then odds are I would have had to pay more for faster shipping on the final ones to have them get here in time. Fingers crossed that in a month or so this won’t be a problem!!

@smcgathyfay they charge $9.50 per 12x24" sheet for .125" baltic plywood (I had two sheets with 17 turkeys on each), then shipping was $22 and the ‘making time’ was $55. The have cheaper making time costs if you have a premium account, but this was only my second time ever using them so it wasn’t worth a membership haha.

10 Likes

$1.62 ea. That’s not really bad…:smiley: Woodworkers Source has baltic birch for $2.50 ea 12" x 24" sheet when you buy their whole sheet you get 12 of them so alot cheaper when you get your own laser :wink:

6 Likes

Very true!! I was honestly most surprised at the shipping cost, but that was probably due to the somewhat bulky 12x24 package. When it comes to buying things, in my mind it’s always 'but I can make these for free at home!" (conveniently forgetting the initial $2k to get the actual laser :laughing:)

There’s a wood supplier by my house that sells 5’x5’ sheets of Baltic birch for a really awesome price (can’t remember the cost off the top of my head but I distinctly remember thinking what a good deal it was lol) and they’ll cut it down to 12x20 sheets for like, an extra $3 I think. Cannot wait!!

Edit: Found the price- $18 for a 5x5’ sheet, no cost on cutting up just one sheet!

12 Likes

Hey, yeah! Happy cake day!

2 Likes

Omg how amazing is this!! After getting home from work today I finally had the time to fully unpack the turkeys and let them air out a little (the big waft of lasercut wood smell had me flashing back to college deadlines haha). Once I stared pulling out the sheets, I thought it seemed to be more than what should be there, and that’s when I saw this:

Thanks for absolutely making my day Ponoko!!

34 Likes

Bonus​:+1::+1::grin:

8 Likes

What company sells 5’x5’ 1/4" Baltic Birch Plywood? close to me there are only the two big hardware stores, Lowes and Home Depot. They only sell 4’x8’ plywood.

Normally, you need to go to a woodworking/millwork lumber specialty store. These places are favored by those who do custom homes and woodworkers.

Our local store is called Sears Trostel (don’t think they have any connection to the Sears Department store).

I love to go there to enjoy the various hardwoods and the smell of the milling/custom processing of those woods.

2 Likes

ahh ok, my preferred sawmill is about 1.5 hours away, not exactly a short trip to pick up one or two things. I’ll have to look around and see if there are decent prices. The closer Mills are quite a bit more expensive (I live in MD just east of DC)

I don’t know about 5x5 but Woodcraft stores sell Baltic Birch in 30"x60" sheets.

1 Like

And I believe you can buy quarter and half sheets.I know at my local Woodworkers Source store they do.

1 Like

The company I found closest (and cheapest) to me is called Northland Forest Products in Manassas, VA. Depending on where in MD you are it could still be a bit of a hike, but the prices seem pretty good!

1 Like

I’ll have to check them out. Manassas is about an hour drive from me (I bet more with plywood strapped to my car). But interesting plywood at good prices could certainly be worth it.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. They also have a facility in New Hampshire about 1-3/4 hours from me.

1 Like