That feels better

I like this idea… Much cleaner than a dremel cut!

1 Like

Me too, but I’d worry about what happens when your hole saw makes contact with the metal. I can see this going wrong lots of ways: the sudden torque yanking the hole saw to the side, and you crack your flange… the torque on the metal grating causing it to rip free of the frame and spin inside the GF, causing who knows what damage, etc.

I might still do it, but I think I’ll be using something more gentle than a high-radius hole saw. Right now, I am wondering if a dremel with an up-cutting router bit would be a good option. In theory, it would pull the debris out of the GF as you cut through the grate. My dremel has a router attachment that would prevent it from pulling the bit into the GF and killing my fan, so I think I’d be ok.

1 Like

Yeah, with a drill press this would be easy to control, but mine isn’t big enough to manage the entire GF… :slight_smile: Perhaps with a custom guide to keep things square along with very gentle pressure the initial bite’s jolt could be mitigated.

4 Likes

Start slow & then speed up. A hole saw keeps me from having to control Dremel wandering :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I was looking at mine again today and thinking about some of the nippers/diagonal cutters in the basement. Moving into a new space, might as well go for it…

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.