The app will not allow me to move the vector graphics design

Now, when I upload the vector graphics for cutting (svg or pdf), the app will not allow me to move it at all. I can still move the engraving file without trouble. I have rebooted my computer, attempted multiple uploads and nothing is working. Where the graphic ends up automatically is out of range for printing so I cannot even move the other graphics file or the medium to it. So I am pretty much stuck now if I want to cut.

I had that happen to me yesterday. Don’t know why but it went away after reloading and didn’t have the problem again.

Try setting your page or artboard size in your design application to 20” x 12”—it’s possible that your artboard size is too large for the Glowforge interface.

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer, @cynd11. If you define the artboard to be 12"x20" in your vector design software program such as Inkscape or Illustrator, your design should upload into the Glowforge app at the same size.

Could you try this out, and let me know how it goes?

If you’re still running into trouble, please share the design file you’re working with so we can take a closer look. You can do so in this thread, or send the file directly to us at support@glowforge.com.

Thank you in advance.

Both files were identical in their size: 10.75x11". It was only the .svg one that I was having difficulty. I figured out how to combine both files in Illustrator and now I am having no problems anymore. My latest challenge is that illustrator seems to want to put a box around my file that then is cut too, which I don’t want and limits my reusing the scrap part of the board later.

Slowly but surely, however, I am making progress and I have managed to solve a lot of the issues that have been causing me a lot of frustration. I absolutely love the machine and its potential, but there has been a very steep learning curve.

Thanks for letting me know. I’m glad to hear that! I know that many of our customers are using Adobe Illustrator to design; the Tips and Tricks area of the forum has a wealth of fantastic tutorials that should be helpful as you’re learning.

If you run into something you don’t see a specific tutorial for, you could post a topic there and see if someone has suggestions for you. If you encounter any other trouble uploading or preparing your designs in the Glowforge app, please open a new thread in Problems and Support and we’ll be happy to help!

Happy printing!