The Battle Rages On

That would be the battle to get things organized around here…figured I’d show a pre-installation photo of my recent attempts to beat the pantry into submission. (I haven’t got the luxury of a walk-in pantry here… that was one of our biggest “oopsies” when we built this place. Ahhh well…Live and learn. Then buy a laser to fix it.)

The organizers go UP, so it utilizes the space in the cabinet efficiently and they’re FIFO, so hopefully I’ll wind up with fewer discoveries of cans that expired in 2014. :smile:

IMG_5745

That’s it. Nothing earth shaking. There are different sizes to accommodate different sized cans, and a couple of different styles, top loading and front loading. I did make a bunch of these out of a heavy chip board first, then splashed one and realized they needed to be made out of Draftboard. (You don’t want to get chip wet.)

:slightly_smiling_face:

86 Likes

Been thinking about that concept myself… the plastic ones you can buy work ok but can be a bit flimsy…

3 Likes

Spiffy,

you could probably paint the chipboard ones and prevent a “meltdown”. :slight_smile:

I plan on doing the same thing.

my next organizational project is drawer dividers.

2 Likes

Mmmmm! Don’t even want to think about the drawers. (This could take a lifetime.) :smile:

4 Likes

Not ALL my drawers silly. :slight_smile: LOL

2 Likes

Nice! Kind of a spinoff of battery storage.

Regarding the lack of a pantry: they are nice to have but the downside is trying to keep the cats out every time you open the door. For some reason they want to dive in and hide amongst the plastic bags on the floor. Every time.

7 Likes

I hear that! :smile:

Nice organization, I really like the auto-feed so the oldest is front and center. :sunglasses:

It’s always something. I spent a great deal of time, effort and expense across two summers doing my back yard landscaping, and managed to neglect lighting. :roll_eyes: Tiki torches filled the gap.

3 Likes

Tiki torches are cool. You could design a neat geometric sconce for them. (We have the technology.) :wink:

3 Likes

I’m thinking I should use the plasma torch to fab some of those wall mounted iron torches you see in the dungeons of castles… :crazy_face:

8 Likes

Ooooh! :hushed:

A very interesting discussion of many things about food particularly “sell by” dates

i have eaten a few from pre-2000 as long as the food is in good shape

7 Likes

These would be so helpful! Thanks for the idea!

2 Likes

Yeah, I know, but not unless there isn’t anything else, KWIM? :smile:

We eat surprisingly little canned food given the fact that we ate so much of it growing up, but we do have a lot of soda cans. I never really thought about making a holder for them, even though I’ve come super close to buying a few.

5 Likes

cats. they’re quick and slippery. but when a 100+ lb dog says, “HEY! THERE ARE TREATS IN THERE. YOU MUST BE GETTING ME TREATS. LET ME SHOW YOU WHICH TREATS I WANT. NEVERMIND, LET ME JUST GRAB EVERYTHING!” and tries to shove her way in…

11 Likes

I almost made one for sodas, then decided it might not be a good idea to roll them down a ramp and drop them onto the bottom shelf. fizzy pop :boom:

6 Likes

If you put a can sized hole in the back of the top you could drop in your new cans and help make the FIFO process easier.

Or are they two levels and putting something in the front rolls down to the back of the bottom layer?

3 Likes

Yep. First design worked that way. Problem was - had to pull the whole thing out of the shelves to fit the can over the hole. (Still got the design, it just didn’t work for my shelves.)

(Yes these have two ramps in them.)

6 Likes

They do sell them, though… with good reviews. Then again, it’s probably cheaper and easier to just buy this:

2 Likes