The Battle Rages On

I absolutely love these! I’ve seen the soda can versions before, but never thought of making my own food can versions! Keep being awesome and inspiring Jules! I think I know what I’m making this weekend now.

8 Likes

Great, I’m glad they’re sparking ideas! (No pun intended.) :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Well planned even leaving the perfect space for the light buttons! :slight_smile:
Very nice!

1 Like

Chuckle! Oh no, that’s not the pantry. :smile:

As I get one made, I stick it on top of the built-ins in the Living Room until I get them all sorted…I’ve got to pull about a hundred cans out of the pantry and load them up before putting them into the cabinets. (My kitchen currently looks like a bomb went off in it. You’ve got to pull everything out before you can organize it.)

1 Like

Oh! I see! Definitely have to mess it up before organise it! :blush: i though it was the “emergency button” food kkkkkk
Take care!

1 Like

That’s not a problem for me, Entropy rules until I can’t find what I’m looking for. That’s when it is “All Stop”. Clean/ put it where it belongs, until you find what you were looking for - then put it aside and continue until finished… and then take a picture for posterity.

3 Likes

Don’t worry about expired cans!!! I ate WWII C-rations in the 1960’s that were over 20 years old. I’m still alive, I think. Only 1 fellow died from Botulism when he ate the Black Cherries. Avoid the Black Cherries.

Of course, when I went thru my fire pack, I did find a can of Black Cherries. Dang, it was my favorite, but I dumped it out.

6 Likes

I’m afraid you fellows are a little more intrepid than I am. :smile:

1 Like

Working mess cooking in the Navy, I remember pulling eggs out of a cardboard box that had a stencil on the side that said 1943, that was 1973. They tasted and looked fine. :no_mouth:

7 Likes

Okay maybe “intrepid” wasn’t the right word… :crazy_face:

4 Likes

definitely been thinking of something like this. thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I always looked forward to the C rat Lottery when we would go to the rifle range to qualify.

4 Likes

When we finally reached in-port, the galley was flooded with fresh fruit and real milk. Before my service, I had never encountered “sterilized milk”. That stuff wasn’t fit for rats.

After being at sea off the Phillipines for 2 months and an getting an UNREP (underway replenishment), I recall walking into the compartment with the front of my T shirt full of mangos. A guy walking past me froze in his tracks “Mangos…! Where did you get Mangos?!”

6 Likes

so true. whenever there was a case of C rats, we always fought over getting those instead of the nasty MREs.

only thing i ever liked in MREs was the dried fruit. mix that with some 7 up or sprite and you basically had canned fruit.

3 Likes

It’s better than the reconstituted stuff we used to get in the commissary in Japan. Ugh. Every once in a while they’d get in a shipment of frozen REAL milk, and we’d all race to get as much as we could cram into our freezers. In between, I opted for either the long shelf life boxed stuff, or powdered.

3 Likes

Don’t even get me started on milk or eggs. Submarine food is the best in the Navy, well until you have been at sea for a while and the fresh eggs and milk run out. Cooks would do small miracles with what they had but…

4 Likes

Once that showed up, we just went for the Kool Aid affectionately known as “Bug juice”.
Life at sea gave us an appreciation for what wasn’t there, which had been taken for granted. It doesn’t take much to make a sailor happy.

5 Likes

You served on a “Boomer” (a nuclear powered and armed sub) right? That duty made life on a bird farm (carrier) look primitive… so long as you were good with being submerged for months at a time.
We (our carrier task force) had a sub assigned to us - we never saw it. Even at liberty.

2 Likes

Yes, the George C. Marshall one of what is referred to as the 41 for freedom.
Insted of following a carrier group or something else fun all we would do is go to the North Atlantic and sit there ready to exterminate all life on the planet. :rocket:

1 Like

Yikes!

1 Like