The Chinese laser experiment

… and even then you’ll worry about forgetting to handle it in the computer equivalent of an NBC/Hazmat suit.

I would not use the required software or the dongle on any machine I cared for. That’s for sure. But you can rip out the control board and install a 3rd party open source board fairly easily. I’m not as my k40 is going to the garage or gone as soon as I get touchdown of glowforge.

Thats their free materials sample pack lol

4 Likes

I knew I had heard of people doing board swaps. Makes sense!

I’m excited to see what you do with this! How much did it run you?

$365 including shipping. Definitely worth that price to see what happens while waiting for the GF. I can tell you that if this was a GF though, I would have already had time to laser cut some stuff. Still gonna need some more work to get this thing running.

I do have to admit that I didnt have time to play with it at all last night, as my friend got his VR headset in, then we went to see captain america, and it was awesome!

6 Likes

Oh, so jealous that you know someone with a VR headset. Haha. Hope to see Captain America this weekend. SO. EXCITED.

But yeah, I get where you’re coming from. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well the other thing is that I get my Oculus today! So many toys to play with this weekend! Makes working on friday REALLY difficult… lol

9 Likes

Oh my…

So excited for you. Haha, can I come visit? :wink:

2 Likes

SC in the spring is always nice! If you happen to come down this way definitely let me know. Weve got a guest room (aka 2nd workshop lol). Always cool to meet other makers!

1 Like

I just may make an excuse to come down there haha! I’ve always wanted to visit down SC area. :slight_smile: Maybe I’ll bring my GF. Haha!

1 Like

I ordered an air assist head and safety goggles today. They wanted $22 for the crumb tray with $20 shipping. NOPE.

If you don’t mind building your own frame the bare honeycomb on amazon ain’t half bad. I really enjoy using it. Especially with paper. Keeps things from smoldering. I will insert link here. Of course you have to cut the exhaust out (which is a good idea with the air assist anyway because it hits). Aluminum Honeycomb Grid Core, 1/4" Cell, 12"x12"x .500" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AYK3M2S/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_I9slxbTS59BBP

1 Like

I did both. The Makerspace is on the way home (sort of) from work but there’s nothing like being able to walk into the garage and fire up a project. But there’s also nothing like being able to put an 18x24" project into the MS big laser and doing a project in a single cut.

The K40 is great for figuring out how all this stuff works though. I’m polishing up my AI skills (and some Corel but I have a legit copy I use not the one sent with the laser cutter).

Right now I’m making a wooden purse for my wife for Mother’s Day - living hinge for the roll top of the flap. Engraved with some puppy dog prints (she loves dogs) and some parts from Amazon. The stain is drying tonight and I’ll drop a few coats of poly on it tomorrow before assembling tomorrow night.

Nothing like doing things with lots of time eh? :blush:

7 Likes

Thanks. I just ordered the honeycomb at 33,000 feet on my return flight from a conference!

1 Like

Any update? I did hook up my water (that works). But my older laptop (Windows ME lol) couldn’t read the DVD ? Will have to find an external DVD reader ( I know I have 1 0r 2 somewhere) for my Windows 7 laptop and try that… still haven’t plugged the laser in yet… ( are you using the ground wire or just the “ground” from the outlet?)

That whole thing about shipping software on a DVD: When I put in the software disc for the Cameo I got, I had to laugh. It’s been so long since I’ve installed from media. Then to really understand that computer programs have to work so hard any more to have any traction. If anything the last eight months have demonstrated, it is that cloud computing is just the most efficient way to get the job done for the most people.

2 Likes

I only just now realized that my computer doesn’t have a cd/DVD drive thing. I’ve been using it 5 or 6 months and didn’t even notice.

6 Likes

I always got a kick out of supplied software the moment it got put in the box and wrapped it it was out of date and you needed to go home and get a update as it is over a year old by the time you get it.

Any thoughts as to what your first few projects are going to be with your k40?

3 Likes

Ive been incredibly busy this weekend, but I should have some updates this evening as long as everything doesnt end in disaster lol. Even then I will still update =P

6 Likes