The Dreaded and popular stuck on focusing

I can’t think of anything else that you might be able to test for…at this point, you might need to just wait to hear from support. Maybe they can see something in the logs that will point to the issue. (Might just be a sketchy Wifi connection.)

Sorry about that. We might not be able to find it.

Thanks for trying. Maybe support will contact me soon…

Interesting thing happened on the way to the forge… Even though the ambient temp in this room right now is 64 F, I thought maybe, even without temperature warnings, the gf was getting too warm… it felt warm inside the workspace. It is 82 F outside today and humid as heck… this is South Mississippi, after all. I have tried leaving the lid open for as long as an hour with no results. But… I set a small fan inside the workspace and cranked it on high after every engrave/cut this morning, and so far, the gf is focusing after only a relatively short period. This is, by no means, a viable solution, but it is food for thought.

2 Likes

Assuming the temperature outside is in the 82° range, you might have fewer temperature issues with the machine needing to cool off if you disconnect the hose when it’s not in use. (Can also install a blast gate which will help keep the hot air out…just remember to open it before use.) :smile:

(I live in a hot humid climate too - I’ve got those little dryer vent flaps on the exit that close down when the machine isn’t running. It helps keep the hot air out of the machine. Leaving the lid up when not in use might also help some.)

2 Likes

I have been disconnecting when not in use, and leaving the lid open between tasks. Even with all this, and the high speed mini fan in the workspace between tasks, i’m still waiting a minimum of 5-10 minutes before focusing completes. But without these things, it never completes focusing. I’m sitting on the beach wearing long sleeves and contemplating mittens in this room,FLIR00042
This thermal image was taken with the gf running, lid open and fan in place for 15 minutes… the print head is still almost 75 F.

That explains the shut-downs then. It is temperature related…that’s at the edge for a Plus.

I’ve never seen a temperature related warning, but it might not display if the print has finished and it’s just cooling off before starting the next one. Someone from support could probably tell you if that is how it normally happens. I know it will display a warning in the app if it has to pause during a print to cool off a bit.

1. Do you have a good air flow into the intake on the right lower side of the machine? It’s not blocked with anything?
  2. Have you checked the grid behind the exhaust fan to make sure it’s not blocked? That will cause the hot air to stay inside the machine instead of exhausting, and it can fill up over time. Just remove the hose and you can see if it needs to be cleaned.

There are some other suggestions for reducing the temperature around the machine here - you’re actually waiting for the fluid in the tube and reservoir to cool off, and it’s a slow heat transfer through the glass and plastic. Keeping the ambient temp as low as you do should be more than adequate, but you might want to take a temperature reading near the unit…just to make sure you are actually getting a good idea of what the temperature is. If you have it sitting near a window or in the sun, try moving it away from that location. (Spot temperatures are never the same all over a room.)

Anyway, maybe something in that can help with cooling it off a little.

3 Likes

Should I be able to see the coolant fluid circulating? I know when I powered the machine on the first time, I noticed bubbles in the fluid, but haven’t noticed it since. I figured it had purged the air… just a thought.

Correct…it did purge the air, and you shouldn’t see it again after the first start up bubbles.

Well, I cleaned the exhaust port, cleaned the intake port removed the exhaust duct and left it off, ran an 8 minute engrave with no material to smoke. Had a fan directing cool air to the intake. Still stuck in focusing afterwards. I give up.

Just a thought. You haven’t restricted the cooling air intake by any chance? Sitting the GF on carpet or a sheet of paper sucked onto the intake? Bottom right side.

I had the same thought, rpegg. Thought maybe a stray sheet of paper may have covered it. But it’s clear, and sitting on a dedicated workbench.

1 Like

@robermar36, you’ve gone through all the steps I recently did - end result was getting a replacement flex cable assembly. Mine’s all better now.

I filed a ticket, they did some diagnostics, and concluded it was a cabling failure. Here’s a tip: ask to expedite delivery of the replacement cable. They shipped it FedEx Ground - something that weighs about 2 oz was delivered by a truck… The whole process took over two weeks before my GF came back to life, for such a simple thing.

Interesting thing about flex cabling: not all flex cabling can be reliably flexed over and over, especially if bending back and forth in both directions, as the GF does. You can extend the life of the cable by not raising the lid - good luck with that :wink:

3 Likes

Ah, but your comment gives me hope… I really don’t want to have to ship this behemoth back… especially since I am on a deadline with products…
Thanks!

LOL - the first time my GF failed, I had to ship it back for repair, and they turned it around really-really fast. My downtime was actually less than it was for this user-serviceable component! A dead GF on their repair floor is a lot more urgent than a sad user typing on a keyboard over the internet.

I’d gladly pay for a ‘greatest hits’ repair kit so I could short-circuit the process…

1 Like

So, is customer service / support services pretty timely? Do I need to also send in an email ticket to expedite things, or does that just muck up the works?

@robermar36, they were very timely and methodical. When my GF got stuck on “focusing”, this is what they asked me to do:

Turn off your unit.

Open the lid.

Using both hands, gently roll the laser arm to the front of the unit.

There are 5 clips pictured below. Check each one to ensure it is closed. The clip should lie flat, and you shouldn’t be able to flip it in any direction.

If any of the clips are open, ensure the cable is inserted straight into the clip and close the clip.

If any of the cables are misaligned in the clip, take a photo of the clip and cable and send it to me so I can take a look before you proceed. Do not try to adjust or reseat the cable.

Close the lid.

Turn your unit back on and wait for it to calibrate.

If I had done this in advance of submitting a service request (via email) I could have taken several days out of the debug time. DISCLAIMER: if your GF is working sporadically, the above procedure could actually make things worse. In my case I was hard-down, so I had nothing to lose. Your mileage may vary.

My GF is out of warranty, so having a credit card on file was helpful to speed up the payment process. The alternative was an elaborate contrivance involving PayPal that would have triggered extra delays in getting the replacement cable shipped.

It didn’t occur to me until after I received the shipment notice to ask about expediting delivery. Their default was FedEx Ground, which took a week to arrive.

1 Like

I’ve already gone through this process, with no results. My GF is only 2 months old, so should still be under warranty. I just haven’t gotten any sort of reply from support from this thread, and was wondering if I needed to submit an email.

@robermar36, there’s so many active threads that I can’t imagine support is reading and tracking all of them, and I haven’t seen a formal support ticket filed solely on the basis of a forum post - I have seen support suggest the poster file (email) a repair ticket in the forums - just not happening here however…

I found them to be friendly and very responsive. They responded to my original email request within 24 hours :slight_smile:

1 Like

That mucks up the works. You’ve already opened a ticket by posting here – they do monitor the Problems and Support area. They’re constantly having to match up duplicate tickets, though, which I’m sure has to slow down their response times.

Actually, they constantly monitor Problems and Support, and posting a new thread here DOES open a support ticket.

Opening a support ticket on a holiday weekend usually means you might have to wait a little longer than if you post on a weekday, although some of them do seem to pop in now and then on weekends too. :slight_smile:

1 Like