The Great Ornament Show-off Thread 2018

I have the same sentimental fondness for little leaf linden-- had one outside of my bedroom window growing up. So far it’s one of the few (along with ginkgo) non-Michigan native trees I’ve done. I’m working on a bunch of tropical leaves, now, though-- so soon that’ll be out the window.

LOVE these!!

1 Like

This is clever, I love it. Fortunately my cats haven’t given me any grief over the tree this year… yet…

This is absolutely beautiful. I cannot find any vector art that is similar to this. Did you create your own? Again, just beautiful!

Some tea light houses

38 Likes

25 Likes

Very nice!

Beautiful piano ornaments.

So is the top piano a different material? or is that just some odd lighting artifact.

the gold looks awesome.

Hey there. I would love to try this out. What settings did you engrave these at?

Do you plan on glazing the ornament and firing it in a kiln? I bet it would look amazing!

Thank you!

It’s actually silver mirrored acrylic from Inventables. It’s clear acrylic with a mirrored backing. I etched the mirror finish off the back where the keys are so they’re just engraved clear acrylic now, but the rest has that nice mirror shine! I’m really happy with it.

2 Likes

I engraved the bisque ornaments at full power/500 speed. I did two passes on some of them and I honestly can’t tell if it made a difference. I wrote up a blog post on preparing the images for engrave, too.

I don’t have access to a kiln or glaze, but I agree I’d be super interested to see what the results look like. The lady in the photo I engraved does have a kiln/glaze; if she decides to do something with them I’ll post pictures (would be after Christmas).

1 Like

yes it looked really slick

well done.

thanks!!!

Those are GORGEOUS!!!

No doubt! I haven’t even begun to get our tree out of the basement and start anything for Christmas yet. Got a couple of orders finally that amounted to quite a bit of time and not enough $ really — but it is more than what we had before.

Amazing ornaments and just awesome looking…wow!

1 Like

Perfect! Just like this! Wondeful!

1 Like

So much fun experimenting. So many ideas. So little time.

24 Likes

These are beautiful!! I’m with theroar84, would love to know basic process!

I haven’t got around to using my laser for making ornaments yet, but here is my project from yesterday. I don’t get an ornament made for ourselves every year—usually I make poly-clay ornaments as gifts for others when I make them—but this year my wife wanted to memorialize our son rumbling it up in Newsies, Brooklyn style!
#SiezeTheDay

And last weekend my Brother’s bengal cat Hades passed away, so I whipped this up to ship off and brighten up their mourning.

22 Likes