The Hopeful Makings of a Scroll Saw, on a Glowforge

Just fantastic!

2 Likes

I really like the double stacked bowlā€¦the mismatch gives it characterā€¦lol

6 Likes

Yeah, it even looks better that way :sunglasses::+1:

2 Likes

Nice I like the detailsā€¦questionā€¦can you reverse the first bowl to climb from the top of the second bowl? To make sort of a jug.

2 Likes

Oooh, good question, Iā€™ll try that later today and let you know! Anyone here who makes these bowls probably already knows the answer, though.

Btw, a big thank you to the member who first posted a pic of themā€¦I never even knew these existed before that.

5 Likes

Do you mean like a vase? Where you make two bowls then flip the other on top?

Sorry just trying to understand your idea.

1 Like

That is what i understood it asā€¦

1 Like

I see no reason why not. If you make you blanks the same size, and keep the circumference the same, why not.

If your driving your design by equation you can have some fun with it(or if your in the mood to do things manually in inkscape or whatever). If you can set you width of each layer to either progressively get wider or narrower per layer, you can probably get some sort of parabola shape. Thought you just have to watch you donā€™t get to thin.

Sorry , didnā€™t get a lot of sleep last night. I hope that answered the question.

1 Like

Holy cow, yessss, you can, and itā€™s friggen beautifulā€¦

What a great idea, thanks!

With the cap on, itā€™s more of a decoration, I guess, but you can leave the cap off itā€™s like a vaseā€¦make it bigger and itā€™s more usefulā€¦

The pics arenā€™t doing it justice, so I took video instead:

Dangit, video failed; too largeā€¦

Pics for now till I can upload the video.

22 Likes

Btw, notice the difference in charring? The dark one is the first set, way too much power / too slow speed.

1 Like

Awesome job!

1 Like

If you made the base the same size as a glass cylinder (vase, or even a jar), youā€™d have waterproof flower vase with wood trim. Could even go all out and wrap the glass with tiny ā€œriceā€ lights. That would cast interesting reflections around the vase.

4 Likes

Oh yeah! Could make the center always a circle, same size as the od of the vase (a cylindrical one), and the outside cuts any patternā€¦awesome idea!

1 Like

Very cool! I think it would make a neat clock as well, with the movement behind the central base area.

5 Likes

So many great ideasā€¦I wish I was more artistically talented

2 Likes

Or put ā€œspokesā€ into one of the rings so it can be attached to the movement shaftā€¦ Now the ring becomes the hand of the clockā€¦ provided the ring is light enough not to put too much load on the movement.

3 Likes

I think your projects are great, and in any case I think Glowforge (the company) needs a whole range of testers to show the rest of the world that regardless of your background or training, you can make something amazing on a Glowforge!

5 Likes

Try this: make one octogon on a piece of paper or on the masking itself. Scan it into the GFUI. Select, copy, paste, embiggen this new octogon and position around first octogonā€¦ Copy, paste. Embiggen this one. etc. Set cut operation. Hit print.

7 Likes

Thank you! Yep, Iā€™m definitely in the ā€œLook at what an average Joe, with just ms paint knowledge, can doā€ categoryā€¦lol

Although I did just down load fusion 360 today and played around with it a little tonight. Omg, how did I ever live without it?!

5 Likes

That should definitely workā€¦but I had wanted exact dimensions when I first set out to make thisā€¦