The Hopeful Makings of a Scroll Saw, on a Glowforge

Added to my list of things to try.

1 Like

That is in the hopper (weā€™ve talked about it a few times - super handy feature).

12 Likes

:pray:

2 Likes

I had thought how cool it would be to have the ā€˜nudgeā€™ feature active across any of the handles (enlarge and rotate as well as position).

2 Likes

Yes. The other would be to align horizontal and vertical or rotate according to degree. Yes, you can do all this with a handle and very precise as you zoom in, but these little things help.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing your process, challenges, successes and failures. I love reading through it and learning from it!

5 Likes

My pleasure, happy to share!

4 Likes

@nunzioc: First offā€¦ nice bowls and workflow.

Butā€¦ for the sins of your title, you must now go and design a full scroll saw, to be constructed using a Glowforge. That is what I came to this thread to see! You tease!

5 Likes

Lol, I absolutely intend to do soā€¦just need a little bit of time, and some materialsā€¦

2 Likes

By the way, this is what the one that I made manually on my mill came out like, after 3 friggen hours!

I hadnā€™t cleared out the sawdust from the cuts yet so that is why it looks like that, and it exploded when I tried to resaw it ad it slipped from my hold, lolā€¦still have all ten fingers, luckily

16 Likes

Eek! Glowforge safer than scroll saw for sure!

4 Likes

What were your feed/speed/depth per? What bit?

The cuts were 1/8th x 1/8th, and the engraves for the inlay were 1/16th x 1/16thā€¦

I donā€™t recall the rpms, but I manually moved the bed at what I felt was a fair speedā€¦and wound up breaking the tip off of the 1/16th end mill, lol. Luckily the remaining piece was still usable.

Well, maybe unluckily, since all that work I continued doing went to scrap anyway in the end.

1 Like

Well the first one costs 1 million, second 600k, third one penniesā€¦

For a first time experiment it looks like a good proof of concept and attempt

2 Likes