The Jester

Pics to follow shortly. Apparently you do sometimes have to plug your phone in and let it charge. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sorry gang - this used to have a short video, but Discourse has apparently decided to do away with mp4 files. Anyhoo, you squeeze the bottom part and the little jester does flips. (Really cool little toy.)

28 Likes

You need a wireless charger

4 Likes

It will probably finish charging enough before I can get one in from Amazon. :wink:

What annoys me is I plugged it in to charge this morning…just not far enough. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

21 Likes

i mean, we ultimately did, it’s not like we power everything with dc

5 Likes

Okay - finally got the phone charged up - I’ve always loved wooden toys so this one was a no brainer -

(And sorry about the TV being on in the background. I have much to learn about vidding. Like…it’s hard to do with one hand while playing with a toy.) :sunglasses:

47 Likes

Well, you have done it again. That is such a cool little toy. I haven’t seen one of them in a VERY long time. Great job. :grin:

10 Likes

We had an old five and dime down the road from my grandmother’s house (within walking distance) and that place was packed floor to ceiling with treasures like this. Mostly used. Banged up torn boxes and army surplus. We used to spend all day in there just looking at everything.

Good times! :sunglasses:

14 Likes

Nice one! How does that work exactly? I want to make a variation of some kind for my daughter :wink:

4 Likes

You squeeze and release the shorter legs together at the bottom, it tightens the tension on the strings at the top, and causes the jester to flip around. :grinning:

4 Likes

Very nice! It got my mind racing on unique variations - and reminded me I have one I got as a souvenir from an international trip around 1990 that needs to be restrung.

2 Likes

So well done! And I love the colors of the jester on the wood - watercolor? Marker?

2 Likes

Crazy Europeans…

@Jules awesome job!

1 Like

What a gorgeous toy! I love the design of the jester–you are really good at this!

2 Likes

Sharpie that is colored on and then quickly sanded off with a damp melamine sponge. It’s more permanent than most markers but can still look aged. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Thank you kindly! That was the part that took the longest - I’m not great at people. (Which is why he’s looking away - I can’t do facial features without them looking too cartoonish.):neutral_face:

I really need to be collaborating on some of these ideas with a real artist…someone who can draw a heck of a lot better than I can! (Which is just about anyone.) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

Holy crap that’s cool!

3 Likes

I really like the look of this. I need to remember the technique.

2 Likes

As usual, you seriously underestimate your talent and skill. That jester is gorgeous! The way you colored him makes him look like something out of a book from Victorian times. What a great looking toy. :+1:t2: :grinning:

2 Likes