The Luggage!

Ok so most of this was made on my GF but part of it was sculpted from polymer clay and part was 3D printed.

For those that aren’t familiar with the Discworld novels, this is the description on the wiki:

The Luggage is a fictional object that appears in several of the Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett. It is a large chest made of Sapient Pearwood (a magical, intelligent plant which is nearly extinct, impervious to magic, and only grows in a few places outside the Agatean Empire, generally on sites of very old magic, such as Indian burial grounds and ancient monolithic sites). It can produce hundreds of little legs protruding from its underside and can move very fast if the need arises. It has been described as “half suitcase, half homicidal maniac”

The feet were an STL file that I purchased from an artist on CGTrader Discworld - Luggage | 3D Print Model

The chest is a file I purchased from an Etsy seller. I have several of his files and they are all amazing.
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/979509151/mini-treasure-chest-3mm-18inch-4mm-45mm?ref=yr_purchases

The teeth and tongue are made of polymer clay. For those of you that know Discworld, you know that the Luggage can either provide it’s owner with their freshly laundered garments or…it can eat people. I decided to make a little “tray” to fit in the chest. One side has the mouth on it. The other has packed clothing.

The chest is 1/8 inch Baltic birch was stained with ColorFx analine dye. The gold was painted on with Citadel miniature paint. The inner tray is 1/16 inch basswood plywood.

54 Likes

Very cool! A cretive way to make use of other designs ready to cut or print and still make it your own.

10 Likes

That’s brilliant!!

10 Likes

Thanks for sharing the story behind this terrific project. I love the reversible tray and the combination of skills and tools needed to make this item.

14 Likes

Wowza! :heart_eyes:

10 Likes

Thanks. My friend is a huge Discworld fan and this is his birthday present. I could have just 3D printed the whole thing but I really wanted the trunk to be made of wood.

15 Likes

Wow! Very cool!

10 Likes

I love a good discworld reference! The feet are delightfully creepy.

14 Likes

That is so amazing!!

8 Likes

My husband HATES them so much :smiley:

11 Likes

Tell him you will put some tiny socks on them :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

and sandals?

9 Likes

I’m unfamiliar with the novels, but think this so cool!

6 Likes

Perfect

5 Likes

Great work! I’ve always enjoyed Diskworld, nice seeing it here.

6 Likes

You are a truly amazing creative person! Love it!
I wish I had these talents.

5 Likes

It’s a lot of practice. You don’t see the duds :wink:

8 Likes

And a Happy Cake day as well!
Using real wood was a key thing in deciding for the Glowforge.
It puts a whole new spin on a 30 foot chest, and a warning to those who would beat their chests.

7 Likes

I love the luggage!
It’s one of the best characters of all the “Wizzard” series! Actually, its one of my favorite characters in all of the books!

Amazing Job!

8 Likes

Yeah, Rincewind himself was kind of boring. I much prefer the other Discworld books, but the Luggage was great!

3 Likes