The Obligatory Escutcheon

Oh boy… I gotta start thinking of something now…

Really cool!

3 Likes

Jules, you always impress me…love the design.

4 Likes

Thinking of trying to design my own, but hesitant. While I am thinking about it, what is the diameter of the hole that I need to fit?

40.25 mm. Exactly. Kerf adjusted. One fraction of a mm smaller, and it will not fit around the ring. :wink:

10 Likes

Thank you. Been pondering something with the family crest, or a cat’s paw.

2 Likes
New photo by Mark Evans

All I have in 1/4 right now is clear. I need to get a rainbow of colors.
Also, I have got to get good in some 2d program. I ended up going to F360 with this as I can get what I want most every time where I was getting my butt kicked in Inkscape.

One problem with even a simple little project like this is it overstimulates me. I don’t just see the escutcheon, I see the potential for a hundred more projects…

29 Likes

Oooooh! Purty! I’ll bet that looks sharp as (a tack) when it’s lit up!

6 Likes

Yes, I definitely see some edge lit potential there. Great job!

5 Likes

If I wanted to use escutcheon AND cover to the button without hindering button functionality, what diameter would the button cover need to be?

1 Like

I’m not following…if you cover the button, it’s going to be kind of hard to press it.

Button diameter is 33 mm. There is a slight difference in height caused by the silver ring around the button though, the escutcheon won’t sit level if you try to just leave the opening around the button.
(It won’t be stable.)

2 Likes

You can make a ring that goes around the button with a cover, and then have a surrounding part. I am actually planning such a part (the scream was just a comic relief thing) which will be super cool, but is also super involved…

5 Likes

Okay…ID of ring 33.1mm. OD of ring 40.25 mm. ID of escutcheon if you’ve got a ring inside of it…40.35 mm. OD of escutcheon…I used about 105 mm, but you could go a little larger without having it knock on the lid.

Adjust as needed…YMMV. (I assume those aren’t going to change too much though, so they’re a good starting point for designs.)

(Best to add about 0.1 mm to actual measurements for 1/8" material. Kerfs aren’t vertical with a laser.)

5 Likes

I would have to find the link. I think it was the aztec stone, but I don’t remember for sure. They made in 2 pieces, one an escutcheon, one a cap for the button.

1 Like

Thinking maybe something like this in acrylic ON the button:

Then something similar to one of these as escutcheon:

31 Likes

Those would be very cute. (Kitties are always good!) :+1:

5 Likes

Nope. That’s how I made mine. 2 layers of 1/8" acrylic (one with a 41mm circle cut out). Then a smaller button sized cutout. The Aztec calendar center actually sizes nicely. The center sits on top of the button and presses in easily when glowy things happen. :slightly_smiling_face:

52 Likes

Oh, I see…you’ve just got a little acrylic round sitting on the button. Gotcha.

6 Likes

Obviously, I’d be designing my own, or paying a fee for the graphic.

4 Likes

Gosh…this is gorgeous!

3 Likes

Does the escutcheon on your Aztec go over the ring, like engraved on the back for that? or do they just line up that well?

4 Likes