The Obligatory Escutcheon

Metric!!! Woo woo

4 Likes

Hey, it’s made of wood and regardless of how precisely the numbers are applied, because it is made of wood it is subject to environmental affects. Since it can not be calibrated to any level of actual repeatable precision, it is in fact… a stick. :smiley:

Hahaha! Are we all getting punchy, or what? LOL

6 Likes

Dan Berry provided me with a metric version of the Founders Ruler. I have stripped off the details and just kept it so you can print this on the other side of a Founders Ruler. You can’t import it so you have to manually align the design over a flipped ruler. Easier in the middle, harder on edges. I’ve done it. You may not want to mess up your original Founders print, but just to have. There are numerous other threads with rulers in them of all kinds.
Ignore the horizontal red line. That’s to help positioning.

11 Likes

Still considering my options for my escutcheon, but this was my first impulse so far, seeing as I’ve rarely been a bigger nerd over anything as I have with The Venture Bros.

21 Likes

I like it! (Changed your avatar too, I see.) :grinning:

Looking forward to seeing it!

oooof, I have some kerning work to do! (type on a curve, man… sheesh.)

1 Like

The reflection of the vent tubing makes it kind of look like smoke coming out of the stack (or so I think that is the stack…close enough for my imagination at least)! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I was never granted a PRU, so I guess this is a non-obligatory escutcheon. In order to get the base piece of 1/8" acrylic high enough to clear the top of the print button it sits atop three layers of 80lb cardstock. Also, I found the 40.25 mm OD of the ring just a little tight in prototyping, so I made it 41mm. Not a snug-tight fit, but a fit I like.

And here is the presentation layer disassembled. Note that the blue ring is oval-ish and covers part of the button. It will be glued to the base layer, which is why the top of the base layer has to sit higher than the button.

All of the pieces dry fit with the outer bling ring lit up.

And finally, a shot of the text on the clear acrylic button that will be the only piece that floats (not glued.) The font is 12 and 10 point respectively.

I’m going to put a yellow square of acrylic in the base layer. Once it is glued up no one will know, but how could Zaphod (my :glowforge:) make me infinite awesomeness without its heart of yellow acrylic???

46 Likes

Awesome! :sunglasses::+1:

4 Likes

Haha! Love it! And obligatory escutcheons do not apply only to PRUs, they apply to ALL Glowforges!

6 Likes

You win today’s Internet :grinning:

6 Likes

You should make yours as the eye of a hurricsne and name your forever GF Harvey

9 Likes

I’ve always been mildly fascinated by the symbology from the old days of alchemists. For my foray into escutcheon territory, I chose to go with a design that represents “transmutation” (e.g. gold into lead, proof grade maple into ashes, etc. :wink: ) Looks awesome in the acrylic, and fits like a glove!

20170904_203023

40 Likes

Ooohh…that reminds me and I just might have to do this… The great conjunction symbology from “the dark crystal” as my escutcheon.

3 Likes

Glad to see people still adding to this thread. We have some creative people here.

1 Like

Here’s mine. Just made a quick one :slight_smile:

28 Likes

Lovely escutcheon, and the symbolism is wonderful!

1 Like

Very nice!

That is fantastically fun! Great job on it! :smile:

Excellent! I like the arcane theme you guys have got going. :grin:

1 Like

Oh man - why didn’t I think of that?! That’s a fantastic idea. I even have all the Brian Froud art books on my shelf, for reference. Might have to give that one a crack too and have a weekday escutcheon and a weekend escutcheon :wink:

3 Likes