The undisputed heavy weight champion of the world

When I was prototyping this project my wife observed that it looked like I was making prize fighting belts for my whiskey decanter. She’s not wrong and I have never been able to unsee it. Regardless, I still liked the idea so I kept at it. The tag indicating which variety of sweet, sweet nectar is held within is removable via the two chicago screws. I have only engraved the two so far, but have many more drawn up in Inkscape awaiting their opportunity. :grinning:

57 Likes

Oh, that would make a nice gift. :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

I like those a lot! You’ll never lose your grip on one of those bottles. They look very elegant and classy.

8 Likes

I have not seen identifiers such as these before. Unique and classy!

8 Likes

Can’t unsee the belt! :rofl:

6 Likes

That is just remarkable! Beautiful for gifting as well!!

4 Likes

I thought the same thing as I was making this. I think I have my dad and brothers covered for Christmas this year!

3 Likes

The Chicago screw attachment idea is genius!

5 Likes

I agree with @Jules. Very nice gift. And tomorrow is Father’s Day!!!

4 Likes

That’s a smart idea and I agree that these are really classy!

3 Likes

What a clunky-dinky! I just bought a bottle of Macallan Classic Cut! I would like to see pictures of it laying flat, both inside and out. How do you attach the receiving end of the screw so it doesn’t spin when -tightening the screw?

2 Likes

Yeah, good question. I’m on shift today so can’t provide photos until I get home tomorrow, but can relate that I tried a couple different glues (contact cement, CA glue) to hold the post in place so it wouldn’t spin. They all worked for a while but eventually broke loose. Ultimately, I settled on a two pronged solution which seems to have worked out well. First, I cut the hole in the leather that the post fits through a little smaller so when I get it worked through it has a nice tight friction fit. Second, I ensured that the Chicago screw is short enough or the leather thick enough to prevent the screw from ever bottoming out in the post. This seemed to be the cause of most “stuck” screws. I then only finger tighten the screw, rather than crank down on it with a screwdriver.

Like I said, this seems to have worked out well so far, but I am certainly open to any suggestions you or anyone else may have. I think I learn something from somebody everyday on this forum!

5 Likes

Oh my goodness, that is amazing and what wonderful gifts this will make.

2 Likes

What about strong magnets maybe?

1 Like

Hmmmm……that might just work. I’ll have to think on that. Thanks for the suggestion.

love Macallan yummy

1 Like

I love those I just ordered my glowforge. I really hope I can make something as nice as those.

2 Likes

@dnonnies and @thill452 , welcome to the community. When I first joined, I felt really insignificant since everyone knew more than I did. But I did a lot of reading and learned about people and their projects as I went.

When it comes to making things, start with simple things done well. Then do some things by the seat of your pants, and see what happens. It will be a learning experience, and may put us all to shame.

So, don’t be shy about posting. We like to see what people make around here.

5 Likes

I have to admit I am so afraid. But im definitely going to take your advice. I think I’m going to start with something like wood rounds. Hopefully I can get that right.

2 Likes

If you use a lot of PG material, you won’t have to worry about settings being correct or appropriate. But if you are like me, your attention wanders off into other stuff (paper, felt, leather, etc). Searching on the forum will help a lot, esp in “Beyond the Manual.”

When you use an unknown material, you can’t always be sure it was cut all the way through. So be cautious when you open the lid, and don’t assume your material is free of any connections. What I do is to put double-sided tape on one hand, and hold the material down with the other. If I don’t get a clean lift, I detach without moving anything, close the lid, and run the cut again. DON’T MOVE ANYTHING in the laser, and don’t reposition elements in the software, no matter what it looks like.

4 Likes