The Wave

I saw something similar out on the interwebs and thought, why not…

Inside there is a 16 x 16 matrix of LEDs, driven by a small arduino (trinket pro 5 volt).

Static photos do not do it justice. here is a link to a bunch of videos.

16 2-d waves that form a 3-d wave cut from the thick water edge proof grade. The base is quick and dirty box made with Baltic birch that has been spray painted black.

Will probably make for another one that is longer based on the 8 x 32 matrix of similar design and pay more attention to the finish of the wood.

47 Likes

Custom code? Fastled?

2 Likes

Yes, custom code based on fastLED. But…some of the early videos were shot when it was running an off the shelf LED driver running a stock pattern. I was having trouble getting the code to compile and load in to the trinket (which is always tricky) and wanted to see what it looked like. I eventually determined the issue was a bad usb cable and got the trinket working properly. I would make a few more changes, now that it has been running a while but overall, I am happy.

11 Likes

I’m all about this. Really nice

1 Like

Love this look! Great job!

1 Like

Beautiful! That you cut the layers slightly unevenly makes the addition of the LEDs really look like it’s moving :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pretty!

Very cool, especially the videos. This one is a fine addition to your edge lit acrylic arsenal.

2 Likes

Love the mix of GF and Arduino stuff! Neat project!!

4 Likes

Looks interesting. I just cant seem to do LED correctly.

1 Like

I am happy to announce that this piece has been accepted by The Malibu Arts Commission for the next public art exhibition in the City Hall Gallery. This will be a tribute to Malibu’s surf culture through the eyes of Our artist community. “Art of Surf.” Free opening reception June 25.

7 Likes

Well deserved! Congrats.

3 Likes

Great news…and a well-deserved honor.

3 Likes

The reception for the art of surf show is this weekend. If you are local to LA, crave beach traffic and want to see some goodly art and my piece, please consider heading to the bu.

6 Likes

that is really nifty.

2 Likes

Don’t I wish!! Hope it goes well.

1 Like