There You Go Again - No SVG Loading - Only PDF

I don’t think GF understands how the product is perceived in situations like this or what it costs the brand. The QC issues with code drops (and whatever else caused all the problems this weekend as well) create an impression in the minds of non-owners that will affect their personal buying decisions - to the point where it may well delay or even kill a sale. The whole thing where negative experiences spread far more rapidly than positive ones.

2 Likes

Why NOT use the gaming model.
Patch notes on code changes…

Would allow those of us who follow it to be aware of possible issues.

Further, those of us who think the ‘A’ in Alpha stands for Adventure, can test any new stuff and report issues found.

5 Likes

One would think that the Muse → Dremel example would have helped them wake to this

2 Likes

@Rita lets roll back that code or something.
Another day and no SVG, cmon…

Normally when you have problems, I have problems as well. Just wanted to let you know that right now it’s working for me.

@brokendrum Thank you so much for sharing that file. I believe that the issue you’re seeing is specific to your file.

There’s a problem with the Glowforge App in handling complex files and it looks like that’s what’s happening here. Here’s a solution for now:

1. Open your design in your design software. If you don’t have design software, we recommend Inkscape.
  2. Draw a box around the design. Give it a stroke that is a different color than the rest of the design.
  3. Upload the design to the Glowforge app and open it. The design will open, but everything inside the box will be grouped.
  4. Set the box to be ignored in the steps bar and configure the settings of your design as you wish.

If that doesn’t work, please let us know.

Nope. Box does not fix it. Doesn’t even make sense that it should.
This is a simple engrave surrounded by cut lines. Not very complex in the big scheme of things.

test.zip (2.8 KB)

Ok @jae here us another. Very NOT complex that will not load.
paw-test.zip (1.7 KB)

Going through some older SVG that have already been printed, it is a toss up as to if they will reload.
This is like Whack-A-Mole with SVG’s

1 Like

Ok, as Bones said, It’s dead Jim…

Here is the ultimate fail. A square box.

Sq-Test-2.zip (811 Bytes)

So, here’s my test on this:

Your file failed to upload for me as well.

I looked at the code and ran it through a couple of tests (I have Illustrator, so maybe this isn’t apples to apples). The two primary things I noticed are that the file is saved with the SVG 1.0 Specification. And it’s also saved with encoding set as UTF-16.

Saving in Illustrator with 1.0 and UTF-16 and the box set to evenodd fill rule also fails.
Saving in Illustrator with 1.0 and UTF-8 and the box set to evenodd fill rule it uploads fine
Saving in 1.1 under the above with the same conditions, same results.

Make my own native Illustrator document using UTF-16. It fails.

Even though there is no text in the document that is encoded with UTF-16, the document is specifying that’s how it should be encoded if there is text. This option will make the file fail every single time.

4 Likes

Sheesh, one more thing my SVG stripper needs to account for.

Can someone post a Corel SVG options dialog box?

There it is… I must have changed that in the last few days playing with these load fails.
Back to the default and yes it loaded.
I reset everything back to default in case I messed up something else in the madness of the last few days…

Go eat lunch @jae , looks like it is over for a bit.
I will go thru these other files I have been playing with the last few days and make sure others are not using the protocol mixup…

2 Likes

AND… We’re Back @jae and @Rita

Nope. That last little bit was from me trying stuff to see if I could get one to load, but now it morphed into a new flavor of wth.

Now it loads. But say no Artwork.
Have expanded way out to see if shifted from 12x20 design page, but Nope.
Not much use if loads but cannot see it for placement.
I think we are’ sort of’ back to the origin problem of whatever ‘feature’ had been expanded upon.
Paws-solo.zip (2.7 KB)

I loaded your file into AD and it loads as 83 x 50 inches!!

I’d suggest you double check your export parameters.

2 Likes

Yes. Forgot to mention, the art board showed in Illustrator what @ruthsolomon said. The SVG specifies a viewport of 6000 pixels by whatever. 6000 pixels at 72 dpi is 83 inches.

Your asset is way way off in GF nowhere land

Still showing as .75 inch asset on a 12x20 art board here.
Saved as inches not pixels.

Nothing changed on my end with that first gronk. Reckon I got to walk these parameters and see if I flipped something else besides the UTF while trying to figure out the first svg fails.

Still got a 50/50 chance on loading the older files that did load before also, so whatever changed in the interpreter got picky with the files it fails on.

Ok found it. NOW I got all the parameters back to where they were. Did have it set to save as pixels on the testing somehow.

Still got to go back and examine the other files that use to load, and see what is what with them.

Kind of a pain that I messed up stuff on my side trying for a work around. May just whine and let them fix it next time - sigh…

That was one of the potential issues that was raised to the problem but was discarded after someone else found it not to be causal. Just after that came the discovery of the fill rule flaw in the GFUI SVG interpreter. Probably forgot to switch it back because Support did a “please try again” resolution shortly afterwards.

1 Like

So @jae, @dan, @Rita, @staff… Please read.

So this saga is now over, and SOON there will be no activity and the thread gets closed.

BUT…

The third day of my trials are totally on me, since I was changing things without a methodical system. I should have been taking notes and then I would have known all the things I changed to get around the no SVG Load issue. And it would have been simple to undo the changes.
So my bad there.

And there is the rub. It was fixed on the second day, but it was busted until then.
Do Not Just Close This Without Some Response !!

Please, someone on staff officially let us know if it was the odd/even, or something else.

I have a feeling this will come back to haunt us, since it is already the second time.
So next time the code gets ‘improved’ and burns Corel, or AD, or Illustrator, or (your art program here), we can have a better understanding of what to examine for.

I am sure you were not just sitting back and letting us trouble shoot this issue for you, and yet the only real responses here are from us. This mystery fix seems unworthy of the team.

So chime in. Who, what, was the culprit here? (then feel free to close when ready)

3 Likes