This Freaking Thing - Next-Level Leather

Spiffy. I keep looking for things to do about my iPad Pro cover, too, since it’s so nice and small but the cheap plastic doesn’t wear well.

1 Like

Really nice work!!! Admire the patience to work out such a nice template, too!

For magnets–there are flat “sew-in” magnets that you punch (or cut the hole in the GF) for the magnet itself to not be covered, but the surround you sew thru is between leather layers, and I often use these on bags of similar weight leather. Much thinner leathers the flat bar magnets my work being sewn under a layer of leathers… Also many lower profile prong set magnets available from hardware sites other than Tandy…

And there’s a cleanser that is excellent for removing dye from your fingers-- “Stockhausen 33885 STOKO 1000 mL Soft Bottle Off White Reduran Special Perfumed Scented Specialty Dye Removal Hand Cleaner, English”

5 Likes

I love it! Nice work

3 Likes

Just a random thought when I was scrolling thru.
We are actually at a point in time where someone can say My Grandfather’s Laptop Pouch, and nobody would say “huh?”

Lot of work, but it payed off. Looks great…

8 Likes

Nice design work. And so much stitching…

2 Likes

Fantastic work! Like box making, it is time for some of our programming friends to make a AI/Inkscape/F360 Plug in that can generate wallets/etc designs that are done parametrically. Lots of folks are doing leather, but plugins like this would make it even more accessible. It might be time to learn to program!

4 Likes

Grandparents have been getting younger and younger it seems.

5 Likes

That looks fantastic and I REALLY thank you for the step by step pictures. It makes a project like this seem manageable, having never tried anything like that before. Nice Job!

4 Likes

Except it would be the size of a carry-on roller-bag. I remember the luggage cart the sales people used to take their laptop on the road.

1 Like

I would have to use a whole cowhide to make a “pouch” for my Osborne 1.

sheesh.

4 Likes

I paid $5000 for what was a mini tower with a keyboard built in and a 386 inside but I could take it to the job. Unfortunately the 386 was a dead end you could not upgrade the hardware as you could have done with what followed.

My first laptop wasn’t terribly huge - heavy as sin, and had a 7 minute battery, but it was a laptop! :stuck_out_tongue: My folks got it from DAK back when that was a paper catalog

It’s much nicer to make a case for something you only need to charge once a week or so

2 Likes

I think the one the sales people used at that job was an Apple. This would have been 1988, give or take a couple of years. We had a Toshiba “laptop” up until three, four years ago at my current job with an orange and black display. We kept it because it had two RS-232 serial ports we could use to debug serial communications. Easier than hauling a desktop around. No need for that kind of debugging anymore so it was recycled.

1 Like

You nailed it. This looks professional. Wow!

4 Likes

Thanks for saying so. It’s a progression.

1 Like

Beautifully done. Like so many, I have avoided leather. Not anxious to experience the smell.

Of course, leather can be used in so many ways. Really enjoyed your write-up!

1 Like

Absolutely amazing!! Thanks for the play by play! I have never worked with leather but I want too. You have peeked my curiosity!!

1 Like

Go for it.

Excellent work. So much easier to stitch with the pre made holes than using the pricking irons.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

1 Like