Timber Frame Hanging Bird House

I made a thing. This bird house is a smaller variation to my timber frame bird feeder, I’m happy with the results and haven’t decided if I’ll hang in my yard or give away as a gift. Lots of engraving on this but like trying to figure out faux wood and stone.

55 Likes

Oh my goodness! That is truly amazing. You did a fantastic job!

11 Likes

Very stylish. I think it would make an impressive gift.

14 Likes

Such detail! A joy to look at. I’m already trying to reverse engineer the stone effect on the front face. Multiple layers of engrave, followed by a gently firm brush scrub, and then judicious paint? However you did it, it’s great.

14 Likes

That is beautiful. I especially love the stone look and the timbers. Great job. Thanks for the inspirational share.

11 Likes

No crazy multiple passes. Straight engraved rasterized image using varied power setting on un-masked material.

10 Likes

I over-think things sometimes.

8 Likes

Yeah I love this series of birdhouses/feeders you’ve been making. So nice.

Are you working toward a larger goal with these or are they just a side jaunt?

11 Likes

I’m working on a 3 Frequency geodesic sphere with 3D printed faces, and it’s not fitting together properly, and I got irritated and side tracked with this. I like the look of these and re-using design elements just make it easier to create something new. I’ve done 4 designs using the timber frame theme, so it’s probably overdone until the Barbie dream house is upgraded to timber frame. Maybe next will be a timber frame polyhedral???

11 Likes

A massive understatement! The detail is incredible.

11 Likes

That is gorgeous!

7 Likes

To be picky, current bird house recommendations are to NOT include a perch outside the window.

The smaller birds don’t need it and predator birds sit on them to get at the eggs or chicks.

That aside, I think the design is great, love the multi-level roof and stone effect.

11 Likes

That looks fantastic! You did a great job on both the stonework and the wood grain. Love the little “benches” out front. Didn’t notice the stone patio until the last pic!

12 Likes

You’re really spoiling those birds! They are going to feel that they live in the high society neighborhood! What a great job!

10 Likes

Wow, really nice!

11 Likes

Spectacular, awesome, beautiful!!!

5 Likes

Wowzers! Another fine addition to the series!

11 Likes

That is outstanding!

7 Likes

Oh, it’s beautiful! Do you put any sort of weather-proofing on these? I really want to make bird houses before next spring, but I have a people house I need to focus on right now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

Yes, all the wood gets sealed with Shellac and then a couple brushed coats of Poly.

8 Likes