Tiny display stand

I’ve been madly going through my parents’ (and grandparents’ too!) many years’ worth of accumulated stuff, trying to help get it all dispersed since they’ve moved to a retirement community and don’t have space for it all. Of course I started with the fun stuff – boxes and boxes of beautiful antique Japanese things. :slight_smile:

I ran across a tiny little wooden stand yesterday and was hit with one of those irresistible urges that I know you all understand – “I need to design one like this to make with my Glowforge!” So I did.

I think I mentioned that it’s tiny…

The original must have come with a vase or something, once upon a time, but over the years they’ve gotten separated and I have no way of knowing what’s supposed to be on top of it.

So what does one do with a tiny orphan display stand? Maybe use it to display a tiny orphan china cup?

Oh – here’s the one that inspired me:

57 Likes

It’s crying out for a tiny jade statue :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I’ll watch for one!

4 Likes

What is on the other one! A jade mermaid with what looks like 5 dolphins would be amazing?

It had nothing on it – I don’t know what’s supposed to be there. :wink:

1 Like

Soapstone often looks a lot like jade but can be cut with the same tools as you use on wood. Extremely resistant to fire so not much for the Glowforge but very common in the mountains.

2 Likes

I was thinking a cupcake would look good on there hehe.

9 Likes

1 Like

I haven’t gotten that far yet. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

im so confused 124?

Haha! First, you have to know that @timjedwards is my brother. And then you have to know that I’m currently engaged in dispersing our parents’ belongings to whichever family members want them before I figure out what to do with the rest. So in between doing stuff on the Glowforge I’m also taking photos of stuff and posting it in a shared album with numbers on each item, and in our family chat group people comment with which numbers are items they’d like to have. I found the little stand that inspired this in the process of digging stuff out for that.

I guess Tim likes it. :wink:

10 Likes

thats pretty cool the connection, sad about the items being dispersed. doing the same thing with my grandparents things atm. wish i would have thought about that shared folder when we started.

5 Likes

It’s actually been a cheerful process… No surprise, look who’s running it!

6 Likes

That was actually funny: while I was reading your post my daughter and her friend were requesting a table for the doll house! Voila, cut in no time and the girls were happy with a paint job! Thanks a lot for the design!!

12 Likes

Glad to know that indulging my random whim helped you out! It gives me more reason to indulge the next one that comes along. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Lovely display! Well done!

3 Likes

Really cute.

3 Likes

Ooh. I’m doing some photo shoots for Instagram this week and I think one (or many) of them needs to include this stand!

3 Likes

For tiny perfume bottles…

13 Likes

Pretty bottle and it looks really old too. :grinning:

3 Likes