Tiny Holes in Driftwood coaster? [Resolved]

Hello Glowforge Support,

I am trying to figure out why the glowforge is creating tiny holes in my otherwise bitmapped coaster file, which these holes do not exist in the SVC. (They look like black dots in the attached picture) Does anyone know why this might occur?

Thank you for your time.

PenguinCoasterProto

No idea. Can you zip it up and post the bitmap image or the SVG file here so we can take a look at it?

(Never seen that before in a bitmap. I would think nodes since they’re on the lines, maybe disconnected, but never in a raster image.)

I attached the SVG originally, and apparently it didn’t upload. Here is the SVG file involved.

PenguinCoasterProto.zip (128.6 KB)

'kay, I’ll take a look. :slightly_smiling_face:

Found 'em! There are some hidden isolated vector points that you can see when you hide the penguin image.

(the laser is cutting them…burning little holes where it sees them)

5 Likes

AHHHHHH.

They didn’t show up on my inkscape at all! I’ll have to figure out how you made them show up and delete them. Thank you for your help.

1 Like

I’ve got a “Stray Point” finder in Illustrator…here’s the file without the points.
(It’s going to be a lot quicker than trying to hunt them all down in Inkscape in this case.)

PenguinCoasterProto2.zip (94.4 KB)

1 Like

Thank you for the help!

1 Like

@Jules - what are you using in Illustrator to locate stray points?

You can find the points in Inkscape by using the Edit Paths tool (F2) and selecting the object. When I selected your outline with that tool it shows the points. Not sure about Illustrator but in Inkscape you have to select each point, or drag a box around multiple points to select, then delete them. It takes time with so many unwanted path points that close to valid points. Keep Ctrl-Z (undo) handy. You will need it.

2 Likes

My pleasure! :blush:

It’s one of the RJ Graffix plugins - (one of the free ones) - Select Menu

Not at the computer at the moment but I believe Object > Path > Clean Up > Stray Points, will also catch these in Illustrator. Haven’t compared it to the 3rd party program.

1 Like

Ahhhh! That’s where it’s hiding! I thought I’d seen something for that before, but danged if I could find it again… you da man! :sunglasses::+1:

Thanks @Jules !

1 Like

Freek’n graphics Ninjas Around here I tell ya.

4 Likes

@Jules, :heart_eyes:

2 Likes