Tissue box

Hey everyone! Just wanted to share what should have been a quick project, but wow it turned out way more complicated than I thought it would. I got an overlapping diamond pattern from a pattern generator, and then put it into a nested box. The main issue I had was getting the repeating pattern into the right size and combined, and then putting it into a larger rectangle to be cut out. Took a lot of node editing, but in the end it worked out. The one on the right is walnut and maple, the one on the left is walnut and cherry (this one was kind of an oops because I messed up the tabs in the back, but when my daughter saw it, she thought it was cool so that one lives in her room).

36 Likes

Ooh, I like that! I’m currently trying to dream up a tissue box for my mom, but the longer I take to start drawing it out, the more complex it gets in my head!

5 Likes

Love the design! Patterns are so fun to play with.

4 Likes

See, that’s where I have the advantage of not having ANYTHING in my head. But it’s also a disadvantage because I then have to figure out how to make other stuff work :slight_smile:

4 Likes

They look awesome!!

4 Likes

Very timely project and I love the pattern! :smile:

4 Likes

Yes indeed. Tissues are about the only thing we could find at the store yesterday (and they didn’t have much of that :flushed:)

2 Likes

Thanks! I started the whole thing because I loved the one you did for the smaller boxes (I printed two of those, and I loved them so much I had to come up with something to use for the full size Kleenex boxes we keep upstairs). I still like yours better, but I’m happy with this one. And, it’s one more thing to put in the gift idea folder!

2 Likes

Very nice! It looks so delicate. Needs an elegant bathroom to go with it.

4 Likes

Thanks, yes it is delicate. It was a bit hairy when sanding, gluing, clamping, etc. And you are right, needs an elegant bathroom, which mine definitely isn’t :smiley:

2 Likes

That came out looking really nice!

2 Likes

Nice. I like those designs. Can you believe I haven’t made a tissue box out of anything other than cardboard yet? I’m such a slacker.

5 Likes

These are lovely!

3 Likes

I made several for those cube boxes but on other boxes I have built choosing a pattern that works on the ends as well as the long side is an unexpected challenge. If the long side is a multiple of the short it is easier but if it is 2-3/4 times the short side you either need a pattern repeat 4 times on the short side or can compress/ stretch some to make the pattern fit both places. You don’t show the ends but your solution would be interesting. Matching the sizes of the inside and out is also difficult.

A very nice job!

1 Like

The ends have the pattern also but I didn’t care enough to make them match precisely :grinning:

But as it turns out, it’s pretty close! I guess I could have nudged it over to the left a hair, but by the time I got the front and back worked out, I was just ready to be done with it already haha.

5 Likes

I was doing almost the same, but there was really only one place to break the design up and down so had to scooch that point up and down to get the difference in break I needed. By going 9-2 instead of 5-1 there was less difference side to side.

6 Likes

This box is beautiful !!
Are you sharing your design?

I got the design from the web so do not “own” it. In almost every case you can sell what you make but cannot even give away the pattern. You can look on the Web yourself and find as you can.

4 Likes

I see this project in the design catalog, but the finished dimensions are incorrect.

What is listed is: Completed Size: 2.25 in x 1.25 in x 2.75 in

Definitely not the correct size.

That is indeed incorrect. I emailed support about it a few weeks ago, and they said they would fix it. I guess they haven’t gotten around to it yet. The correct dimensions are more like 9.75(W)x5.5(D)x4(H).

2 Likes