To adjust for kerf or not to

correct So in these scenarios’ they are taking a 4x4 and making it (this example kerf is .008) and making the box 4.008x4.008 in order to make each side over by .004 as a center line you only loose half the kerf on the keep material on that cut side

It’s just stupid to have to work that way. And now all your multi part designs all have collisions’ or size miss match to compensate for all these fake sizes.

1 Like

This implies you haven’t done much with CNC mills and/or routers. I truly am at a loss as to why it appears you would prefer for everyone to do kerf adjustment with such a time consuming technique rather give them the option of tool diameter adjustment quick and easy in the laser cutter CAM functionality.

It’s not an “easy”, it’s a “smart” button. :wink:

3 Likes

You are amazing! I’m a visual learner - your diagram totally made sense!

3 Likes

When you are only talking about one type of application for kerf adjustment then an auto adjust can work like it does in CNC.

And yes I’ve had experience with CNC mills and routers…

What I’ve been saying and repeating to alot of inexperienced people was that not all applications will work like that.

I dont do simple just cutting out shapes, I do alot of inlay and box designs that require tight fitting pieces. And from what I’ve gathered from others, I’m not the only one.

I’m just reminding people who may not have a good understanding or experience with kerf adjustments that its not a one push button and magically all the proper parts are adjusted and will fit together.
There are many people who still don’t fully grasp the kerf and how to adjust for it…hence the starting of this subject.
For anyone who is experienced with CNC or know how to use parametrics to design…thats great…but there is a big majority who do not.

11 Likes

As a Sketchup and Inkscape guy, it would be all manual to me. When I started exploring other CAD and CAM software, I realized that tool dimension is built into the design process, so yes, I’m with you on that. Thinking this over today has made me realize that I need some serious work in Fusioin 360 or OnShape.

3 Likes

I get the impression that as much as @Dan and crew would love to get us everything that we ask for right up front - they can’t.

Nothing in the UI that I have seen in the videos indicates that the structure of the program is set up for something like this, and it is well along now. Trying to add CNC software functions at this point might cause another 6-8 month delay in shipping, at a minimum.

Which would probably be somewhat uncool with the bulk of the customers.
:unamused:

2 Likes

Except when using Proofgrade materials bought from Glowforge. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

One of my slightly irrational fears is creeping perfectionism. Since I can make the primitive software of the other lasers make stuff that I want, I would rather the thing shipped and apple like perfection and ease of use can catch up.
Credit Dan for knowing this well, When I voiced it at the first Q&A session, he said something like " but it is already well past that level".
You are all going to be able to make awesome stuff.
While not applauding the delay, I must say that my clocks are just infinitely better than they would have been.
( just lots of time on my hands).

8 Likes

I am the same. Get the actual product to me and then we can beg for this and that software improvement after I have actually used it awhile.

4 Likes

Many on this forum may not agree with me since it’s largely a huge tech crowd but computers/software/internet have all made people very lazy, it seems. I guess in the end though the final product is a good indicator of the time, thought and effort that went into creating whatever it may be. Good projects don’t take 2 minutes to pump out. JMO.

5 Likes

2 Likes

This is difficult for me as arguably the most universally despised member of this community attempting to get my point across to the most beloved person here.

When you speak, people fall all over your words because of your demeanor and experience, but without a feel for any omission or personal bias that may or may not effectively exclude other options. I try to read almost every word that travels these airways and your knowledge and experience with kerf adjustment outside a CAM environment leaves many with the impression that it is the best only only solution to dealing with this factor that is involved in every single cut of any CNC type piece of equipment. You and I know that the “outside the CAM” approach is not the most effective in all circumstances but your delivery and Tutelage makes many believe that it is. It also adds credibility to the Glowforge team maybe thinking that something like kerf adjustment in the CAM is less a priority, as you have shown members, without the knowledge, how they work around it.

I on the other hand, as among the most hated in the history of forums, truly believe that I have what I see as the best interests at the community at large (at least in my opinions) when I rant on and on about a feature I believe is seemingly being given a sense of abandonment. In this case, kerf adjustment in the CAM, which as far as I can read from the promo stuff was a “promised” feature and in my opinion a must in any CNC environment and most certainly not to take a back seat in the process.

As I have said over and over, in the CNC world, CAM based kerf adjustment is universal and people should not be lead to believe otherwise.

It’s obviously more than just fine to do kerf adjustment outside CAM and teach techniques. But it is not fine to let people walk away with the notion in their heads that CAM adjustment for kerf is not an extremely effective approach (if not the most effective for the masses). And they are walking away with that opinion. When one’s opinion is regarded so highly, it must actively present all the merits in a balance.

IMO anyway. Like the fire, I’m ready. . .

8 Likes

All we know is what we have seen. Go through any Maker Fair videos and such and compare them to the front page of the Glowforge website. I would suggest we are some ways away yet from having to worry about creeping perfectionism.

2 Likes

In my personal opinion, this tool stands apart in it’s innovations and price.
Th details of software at release concern me less due to the cloud based design. By definition, further improvements in functionality will be in the pipe - hopper if you prefer.

A brand new innovative design just coming out of the hole, trying to meet projections and expectations has to draw a line somewhere regarding features so they can get the damn thing out.
I’m betting that we will all be pleased with our lasers going forward, as new functionality materializes in the future.
Kinda reminds me of Tesla, because people wake up to find their car improved overnight…and the shape of things to come.

3 Likes

Well.I would think like the other things, that feature is not locked in and you can do manual settings

4 Likes

Exactly😀

1 Like

I’m sorry that you feel as if you are the most hated forum member…I certainly don’t hate you.
I understand your side of the issue and I don’t dissagree with a majority of your points. But this forum is made up of many different types of artists, hobbyists and creators…many of whom have never worked with design software let alone CNC machines.
If you look back, there are a good number of those same people struggling to understand the whole kerf concept.
You are coming at this issue as someone who obviously has extensive experience with CNC milling and such and whats possible and whats not through using kerf adjustments through the running software…and I see where it should be a no brainer to have this in the Glowforge.
And as I’ve said before, repeated at nauseum…the auto kerf is a feature that would be extreamly useful for certain applications.
I’m unsure why you feel I dont think its important.
I never said that and I apologize if I gave you that impression.
But can you not agree that auto kerf is not appropriate for all applications for laser cutting? Thats the main point I am trying to get across. If someone reads that the Glowforge will auto kerf adjust then sends a file of say a box with slots and then wonders why the pieces dont fit…they have an understanding of why.
I’ve never attempted to use a router to make a slotted box and honestly dont know if the software you are speaking of can auto adjust the slots to fit perfectly together…I would be greatly impressed if it can to be honest…
There are online box makers that take the dimentions, material thickness and kerf and output the design that can then directly print to the laser. But that is separate from the actual software that runs the laser which deals with speed, power, z-axis etc.

Basically it comes down to what most people want to do with the Glowforge…You can do so much more than you can do with a CNC and likewise there are things you can do on a CNC that you can’t do on the Glowforge.
If this forum was only filled with experienced technical minded craftsmen used to working with CNC mills, then there would be no reason for this topic to begin with.
:grinning::wink:

10 Likes

YES, making five copies of EVERY SINGLE DRAWING FILE YOU HAVE in order to accommodate five different materials is SO MUCH BETTER than having five different kerf values stored inside the DATABASE OF MATERIAL CUT PARAMETERS.

Hey, I have an idea, maybe some entrepreneurial (you know, non-lazy) person could start a business where they manually offset the drawings for those of us looking for an easy button. Think of how lucrative that could be! The logo for the business could be someone sitting at the top of an ivory tower shaking their fist at some kids playing on the lawn below.

5 Likes

Awesome :slight_smile:

My wife said when I retire she’s going to plant flowers all over the front yard so I won’t be able to yell at kids to get off the lawn. She’s afraid I’ll turn curmudgeon. :smile:

3 Likes

It’s a given. Neither of us doubt it…
Not sure why she puts up with me.

2 Likes