To adjust for kerf or not to

I may eat my words after the forge comes out and I use it, but I have built and designed countless design modification for steel, coal, locomotive, sewer, automobile (Toyota), and electrical diesel generator manufacturers. I have always had to take into account loss of material in every aspect of a new design from length of material to order to cut out new objects, to id (inside dimension) and od (outside dimension) of shaft material for making shafts, couplings, sleeves, seal fits, retainers, and countless other things. Every aspect of a design has to take into account different amounts and styles of material loss. I don’t see how software can effectively identify material loss with so many designs and materials being used by countless people in different environments. I personally wouldn’t trust a piece of software to interpret material loss, I have seen how easy it is for software to hiccup and make assumptions. The printer has been out for years and years and there are still times I print out random garbage when I try to print a document.

I think people need to remember that software is written by a person to attempt to take every possible scenario into account and give a positive outcome, but unless you have an expert for every material type that is also an expert in laser cutters that use co2 laser tube at 40-45w then you aren’t going to have a positive outcome. That kind of time with those level of skilled people is not going to be cheap and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a perk listed in the preorder for glowforge.

Like I said I am always more than willing to apologize after I have been proven wrong.

9 Likes

Cutting a pencil holder with tight enough tolerances that it doesn’t fall apart is a little less demanding than the sleeve of a locomotive engine cylinder. Nobody is asking for the world here. Cutting only on the outside of a part is pretty basic stuff.

4 Likes

No, but we have @Rita:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I’m sure she will justify her paycheck shortly after shipment… her raises being a direct reflection of how many of us she can keep off of Dan’s back.

6 Likes

Passive aggressive much? Whatever your insinuation was with your proposed logo, etc., I don’t really care for. I was born in '81 and have been using personal computers from pretty much kindergarten on. So - getting older, yes. Some guy yelling at kids to get off of my lawn, or some “old guy” that doesn’t like change and technology as you insinuate, no.

Just take a look around the world - everyone wants automation and instant gratification. Push a button , make it work and get spectacular results with no effort.

I’ll leave it at this - one must learn to walk before they run. Take that how you want.

4 Likes

Shes gonna need a raise and a staff masseuse…lol

5 Likes

I guess I’ll get me a lawn chair and sit out front and start yelling at the youngens…I’m just an old fart at 51…lmao
I remember a world without microwaves, computers, remote controls and phones without voicemail…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

I concede on that point, just seems people keep adding to the design stuff they think they should get. I say lets get what we payed for and then let them update software as they see fit as a bonus. btw I personally like your sense of humor, I usually find myself looking forward to your quip or gif you give in your responses.

3 Likes

Thank you SO much for that. I took some screen shots and saved your contribution. I know it will come in very handy when I really need it.

4 Likes

I’d probably buy into that…lol. Adjusting for kerf can be a pain in the butt…I inevitably miss one…

4 Likes

The team has the functionality for kerf adjustment on the work list. With Proofgrade material no UI is needed. The UI may be simple and follow shortly after, or it may have unexpected complexity. I’m not close enough to the engineering of the feature to know. Your thoughts on the feature’s usefulness are welcome, and we particularly appreciate example use cases.

I’d also like to remind people to please keep things civil with each other. I understand if you’re mad or frustrated with me; I’m OK with that. But the incredible people here, giving of themselves to try to help - please remember that they’re not just the innocent bystanders when something seems broken, they’re actually the good Samaritans who are trying to help, despite it not being their job or responsibility to do so.

19 Likes

I don’t know how this statement squares with the advertising on glowforge.com.

I expected this functionality to be there from the beginning and not only for proofgrade materials. It is hardly revolutionary as all CNC routers and 3D printers already do this in their CAM software. You don’t have to compensate for it in CAD. It might be non standard for laser cutters as the kerf is so small that it is often ignored but Glowforge is supposed to be better than the average laser cutter.

10 Likes

Note also the tense of the advert. It implies Glowforge already did this at the point I ordered, nearly a year ago.

5 Likes

I could not agree more. :+1:

If I’m not going to get “direct from DXF” out of the box, please let there be kerf adjustment.

2 Likes

Quick, somebody better explain to these WAZER guys that kerf adjustment should not be part of their product’s functionality.

https://youtu.be/cOTunqOXu30?t=5m3s

And what are they doing saying it’s standard in laser cutters?!!

2 Likes

How do you find out who tagged one of your posts?

You probably can’t. Flagging would not be effective if it wasn’t anonymous.

2 Likes

Probably right. Certainly gives (us) little people a lot of power to ensure views different from ours are suppressed.

1 Like

For the benefit of the doubt, I have inadvertently flagged a post when I meant to bookmark it.
I couldn’t understand why that post was flagged either.

1 Like

I expect there are kids who have been born already who will never see a CD outside a museum.

Think of the technologies that have been created, massively used and discarded in our lifetime. It’s astonishing when compared to any previous generation.

6 Likes

I don’t think there is a way.

I don’t understand why either of your posts was flagged!

3 Likes