To air filter, or not to air filter?

I originally bought the basic glowforge and have decided to upgrade, but I’m stuck on the question of whether or not to get the air filter.

Obviously, it’s being put forth as a big benefit, but I know eventually it’s another part that will have to be replaced. And I think in some instances, having an exhaust-out-the-window option might be a bit better.

I guess my question really comes down to this. Is it an either/or situation? If I buy the version with the air filter, will I still be able to pipe fumes out the window? Or do glowforges that come with air filters always have to use the air filter?

Hope someone has my answer! Thanks!

It isn’t designed to use simultaneously. This thread among others discusses some pros and cons. There are quite a few topics dedicated to this question. Welcome to the forum.
http://community.glowforge.com/t/air-filter-pointless-exhaust-air-filter-combo/626?u=marmak3261

I wasn’t thinking of simultaneous use. Just wondering if it was possible to bypass the filter all together as I see fit if I chose to go with that option… It seems like it is possible. Discussed a bit in the thread you posted as well as another one I saw (of course directly after I had posted)

1 Like

yeah no doubt. you definitely dont have to use it as its an optional purchase.

1 Like

You can remove coupling between Glowforge and filter, connect dryer vent out to window.

1 Like

I am hoping to get the filter after I pay off the first part of the credit card bill (didn’t want to pile on to much of a balance and pile up interest) my reason for fingers crossed is that my condo association + window vent = me being fined no matter if it smells or not (a lady has a bird feeder on her window and got fined) and two I hope to have this in my computer room witch is also where my chinchilla’s live… if I need to tell you the obvious reason for hoping this filter actually works… and if it doesn’t I need to know sooner rather then later but fingers crossed

1 Like

I haven’t bought the filter yet, but I plan to. I would use it primarily when taking my exciting Glowforge to other homes.

I purchased the filter with mine, the reason being is in my area Northwest Washington the wind really blows hard sometimes, it would not be good having a hose stick out the window on those days.
Nice days, no problem hook up the hose and vent it outside and save the filter.
I am thinking about designing a diverter valve, flip the valve one way and I am using the filter, flip it the other way and vent it outside.
If I had the dimension of the machines opening and placement I could design it, or maybe Dan could get the team to do that.

As @rpegg said, you can remove the coupling. The filter will not even be shipping with the Glowforge, it will be a separate shipment.
I’m on the fence about the filter as well. Right now I have it on my order but I’m considering taking it off. I think I may leave it on though, just to use if I bring it somewhere or if it gets really cold out.

There is still time to decide. You can change your order up until you give them your shipping address.

I’m just going to make a hole in the wall behind the forge :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had wondered about this whole air filter thing. Personally, I’ve held off buying the filter option, until I see how it works for others. I know from years of custom AV metal work that, depending on the material, you can produce all sorts of vented air. Particulates, such as those in smoke, are relatively easy to filter out with charcoal/HEPA devices. But, noxious gases and finer particulates seem to often penetrate the best filters. If this filter works, it will be truly impressive.

After using mine with the blower out the window option - I was considering a filter. But if I can’t use them simultaneously, I might be better served with ventilation if possible. I made a window-width board with one-way dryer vent attached that I’ll probably just semi-permanently use in one window, and use an exhaust fan in another window as well.