To turn the design 90° or not?

Since our little magic beam zips across in rows, is it noticeable on a photo if you engrave it landscape vs portrait? My theory is that if I examine the image and it has a lot more horizontal lines than vertical, I should orientate it as landscape, I don’t know if the dots “smear” slightly as they burn in a line. Things that make you go hmmmm. I remember in dot matrix printers, I could tell.
Thanks.

1 Like

Good instincts…you always want to orient the “most burn” in the horizontal direction.

No smearing, but a lot of time savings.

1 Like

What puzzles me is when I engrave something and it has a big square outline of the same exact color(because it’s vector) with nothing inside it and it does this:
buuuuuuuurrrrrnn acrosssssss . . . . . then a
dit . . . . s p a a a a a a c e . . . . . dit
dit . . . . s p a a a a a a c e . . . . . dit
over and over 40 times, then
buuuuuuuurrrrrnn acrosssssss . . . . to finish the square, when I know it can cut and/or score a rectangle in a linear path. I’ve added a frame this way before to an engrave and then added a slightly larger final cutout. Is this solvable? [I may need to post this as a new topic]
Thanks!

An engrave, which consists of fill, will always move up one row at a time. If you want the burn path to follow the rectangle, it always has to be set up as a Score. (And for that you need an unfilled Stroke line.)

And that Score line is only going to be one beam width wide, so it won’t color in a thick line.

Thanks for your help, @Jules.

@rhgrafix Thanks for asking about this. If you have any other questions, please post a new topic.

1 Like