Toolbotics Tooli - it slices, it dices

Am I the only one who thought “Is he miming”?

2 Likes

Weird, he was.
Think he should have saved his money. He does fine here.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/735824118/plot-airbrush-laser-dispense-tooli-the-creative-cn/description?lang=fr

3 Likes

I’ve also heard it called “80/20,” presumably in reference to

https://8020.net

Could be the other way around. :try_to_be_helpful_but_not_authoritative:

4 Likes

That’s what I was referring to in this comment. A bunch of folks make it and I’m not sure how compatible they are with one another. I know 80/20 also has black anodized which looks sexy as all get out!

2 Likes

Nope. It sounded so unnatural to me that it was a relief when they stopped showing him speaking and went to voiceover only.

2 Likes

They also have a great YouTube channel that talks and demonstrates their products:

2 Likes

Yeah, 80/20 is probably the biggest seller of the stuff in the USA so a lot of people know it as such. They will kit just what you want as well.

3 Likes

Looks like a neat tool. With the replaceable head, theoretically the GF should be able to do most of these things…let’s see what the future brings :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I first encountered the extruded T-Slot aluminum reading Frank Howarth’s first CNC build. I realized that the 80/20 evokes the sizes of the profiles millimeter dimensions. So you can get 40 x 40 mm and 80 by 40 millimeter and other variations. Just saying in case people haven’t encountered this all-purpose building material. Once I saw it, then I saw it everywhere! Good to know about Grainger. There is one in St. Louis.

6 Likes

80/20 is great, we’ve got a lot around the makerspace and have used it in most of our cnc stuff.

I ended up getting an eleksdraw the other day at a flash sale price (axidraw clone / cnc plotter / etc). I’ll chuck the 500mw laser attachment and look into building a syringe mount like they have on this machine

Toolbotics announced pricing and shipping schedule for the Tooli Generation 2 this morning. $1295 with all attachments shipping starting next month. That seems like a pretty good price. Very tempting.

http://toolbotics.com/TooliG2.html

7 Likes

Awesome, thanks for posting that! I’m going to get myself on the list. It seems like they’re charging the same price for all three sizes, which makes some sense, but is also surprising as “nobody does that”. Hmmm… Should I get the one that’s so big I’ll never have room to set it up or the small one that will probably serve 99% of my needs wants? Or the middle one that’s also too big? :stuck_out_tongue:

edit - I went for the little one, definitely going against my normal MO there.
edit2 - Changed my mind! Going to switch to medium. I didn’t notice how much smaller the work area was.

3 Likes

Go for the biggest, it will still be just a little too small for that one project!

3 Likes

That’s my struggle right now. When I first learned about the Tooli, I told my wife that I’d probably buy if it was under $1500 but space is my biggest question right now. And where that $1300 will come from as too much of my available cash is tied up in summer inventory.

2 Likes

Were you able to check out with a shipping address anywhere but Australia? I’m not able to do that.

Edit: never mind, got it to work. Their website is definitely having problems, it refused to accept a Discover card, had to switch to a different one.

Anyway, I’m excited about this! I was very interested when you first posted @johnwills. The only thing holding me back a bit was the possibility of the Glowforge eventually adding a lot of these types of accessories. But the Tooli is something I would use in a different room anyway, so I think I will really like it.

3 Likes

Darn, I’m having pre-buyer’s remorse, as usual. :frowning2:

The Tooli looks cooli, but are those attachments really going to get any use? Hmmm…

2 Likes

Yeah. I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I keep going back and looking at the AxiDraw and KNK Force to decide if either (or both) of them would do enough of what I’d use this for. If I buy, I’ll get the large which has a larger working area than either of those. One use case I have is using a marker to draw signs on large pieces of poster board. Using the airbrush adapter would be neat and I could probably find some why of making a little money with that. Just not sure if I can come up with $1300 worth of practical uses.

1 Like

Crease origami folds with the scoring attachment!

1 Like

Bought. I went with the medium size even though small would probably do it.

I didn’t need that new camera lens right now anyway.

5 Likes

I thought that was interesting as well. I’m wondering why they don’t either just include all three rail sizes to start with, or let you purchase the different sized rails if you want the flexibility.

2 Likes