Toolholder

+1 :grin:

1 Like

So I have questions for you …

Tool holders are high on my list to make, and probably not too different than you did, it even looks like we use some of the same pliers…

It appears the “tubes” that hold the plier handles stick above the outline of the base, or am I not seeing that right?
It also appears those tubes for left and right side, are all attached, so if they stick above, you just printed a couple extra of those and stacked them? Are they glued?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I’m a very hands on person, and not being able to print my own has my mind spinning, and then seeing yours give me more ideas and nothing to do them with.

5 Likes

Yes, the tubes are raised above the base - that middle pic was taken about halfway through the gluing process so you could see the detail in the base…no reason why functional can’t be fun. :smile:

It’s just stacks of rings, glued on top of each other to raise the sides and hold the cutters/pliers.

It’s taking much longer to put these designs together than it does to cut them now, 'cause I have to wait for the glue to dry. (Also need a LOT more clamps. Everyone needs to buy clamps. Seriously.)

7 Likes

I love the tool holder! (How many flush cutters do you have, anyway?) I like that it is decorative as well as functional.

So, regarding clamps: you have a laser–make some! :laughing:

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks for clarifying what I thought I saw. Helps with my ideas.

HA! I’ve started getting a couple more every time I go to the hardware store.

1 Like

How would you make a clamp with a laser? Is there a pattern out there that I haven’t seen? (Because what they want for clamps is obscene!)

Twelve - tweezer nose, needle nose and sprue cutters. I need different sizes for removing support in 3D printing - and a couple were bad purchases from Amazon while trying to find the right tools. (I use the bad ones for things that might damage them.)

Conicidentally, pick up a couple of pairs of needlenose and tweezer nose pliers as well for use with the laser…if you’re cutting through heavy ply and don’t make it quite all the way through the veneer (thanks Lowe’s), you can break the piece off with the pliers - you don’t want to use a knife on it.

Ask me how I know…

5 Likes

Harbor Freight is a great place to expand your clamp collection. I got 32" Clamps for about $7 each, when I went to Home Depot, the same type of clamp was about $25-30. Prices get more comparable with the smaller clamps.

3 Likes

oi…reading too fast again. I read “Flesh” cutters and did a triple take until I finally figured out you said “Flush” cutters.

Didn’t think @Jules was THAT crazy…right?:wink:

4 Likes

I just need to get a few more small ones - I was thinking about using a few Chip Clips - they open wide and maintain a nice even pressure while gluing - these aren’t really big pieces.

Bwa-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha! :imp:

2 Likes

Is it time to raid the office supply cabinet for binder clips?

5 Likes

Sometimes weight can be used to ‘clamp’.

3 Likes

Sometimes weight is your best clamp. I keep some iron weight around just for that and I keep meaning to pick up some lead shot for that purpose.

2 Likes

The spring is too strong on those - they mark the wood and don’t distribute the pressure well enough. (And they are hard to open and close - they’re pretty stiff. Might need some smaller ones…)

Chuckle! Stack of heavy books! My office looks like a bomb went off in it! :smile:

1 Like
https://community.glowforge.com/t/beta-project-15-lapstrake-clamp?source_topic_id=6506

:wink:

10 Likes

Yes, I have some remnants of marble and granite at several square feet that I can stack. Nice and flat!

Idunno if there’s a pattern out there for laser-cut clamps, but there’s a long tradition of handbuilt wooden clamps, often with some kind of cam. For example. You could zap those up fairly easily in layers, and for most of the stuff we’re talking about an all-wood clamp would be fine.

Also, for people with a certain amount of daring and access to lots of good gloves, cyanoacrylate (aka crazy glue) makes a darn fine wood glue with minimal clamping time.

2 Likes

@paulw ttps://community.glowforge.com/t/beta-project-15-lapstrake-clamp

LoL I’m dying over here.

8 Likes

Nice work.

Just make sure the holder doesn’t put too much pressure on the spring. If you do, the spring will no longer work. I’ve ruined the springs on two of these type of pliers because I slid them into a tool holder that put enough constant pressure for the rolled metal spring to no longer be “springy.” I had to design and 3D print scissor handles to add to the gips so I could still use them.

2 Likes

This is why it pays to bookmark heavily! Thanks Josh! :smiley:
(I’ll need to make a couple of these for sure)

2 Likes

I have somewhere around a bazillion pair of pliers and wire strippers that I need to make a mass storage for but if this becomes available I’ll cut one just for “I need a few sets out right now”.

2 Likes