Top camera misaligned?

I’m new to Glowforge, but have watched lots of tutorials getting ready! Unfortunately, it looks like my top camera is really misaligned! It doesn’t look like everyone else’s videos and screenshots. It looks a big warped and after running the recalibration (two failed, and the last said it was not completed, but at the bottom said “calibration complete” but no changes were made.)

The camera is showing a large part of the front door, not the back of the board at all! As you can see, the precision marks are very off as well. I would be so grateful for any help on this! Does this camera alignment look normal? (The crumb tray is perfectly flat, everything is aligned!)

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 7.43.35 PM|690x447

Yeah, that doesn’t look normal to me.

You’ve opened a support ticket by posting in Problems & Support, so someone from the staff will be along soon to weigh in!

2 Likes

Oh – something to check in the meantime – make sure there’s nothing keeping the lid from closing all the way. it should be flush with the top of the Glowforge. Also make sure the surface the machine is sitting on is perfectly flat. Note that I said “flat,” not “level.” If the frame is twisted from sitting on a non-flat surface it can keep the top from closing properly, and I could see where that could cause the issue you’re seeing. You can level it by putting some sheets of paper under whichever corner needs it – it can take some trial and error, but you’ll know you’ve got it when your lid sits flush and even with the top of the machine.

5 Likes

This really isn’t a solution as I doubt there is one without replacing the machine, but is the camera securely attached to the lid? From the pic., it looks like it’s “hanging” forward.

I’m so sorry to hear about the trouble with the lid camera. Thank you for letting us know and posting this screenshot.

We’re reaching out to the engineers about this and will update you as soon as we have more information.

Thank you so much, I appreciate your ideas! So far, nothing has worked yet! Great idea though. I’ll try anything at this point to get it even close to aligned!

Doesn’t it?? The weird thing is the camera is completely secure and attached. I have no idea what could be causing it. Thinking maybe it was just a defective camera? Or attached wrong somehow?

I had another thought, the lens for it might not be correctly attached (it threads on), or it might be deformed from manufacture.

Can you take a clear, in-focus close-up of it from the side?

Don’t try to remove it, they are meant to be locked once the focus has been set during assembly.

Thank you for your patience.

We’ve manually updated your camera calibration.

Can you turn your Glowforge on and check the results?

With the manually updated calibration, you may be able to re-run the Camera Calibration process one more (I’ll be happy to cover the Proofgrade).

The manual calibration you did made the “field of view” that I’m seeing better and more aligned, but it’s still not quite there yet! The right side (and a little of the top) is getting distorted now (it has a warp as well as a blur), and the precision marks vary in their accuracy. I was able to run the Camera Calibration successfully, and it’s closer than before, but not quite accurate yet! Maybe these screen shots will help get it more accurate on Glowforge end? (Although I’m out of Draftboard now!) I’m very happy to see you can manipulate the screen from your end and I’m really hoping we can get it dialed in!

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 8.23.00 PM|690x413

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 8.55.48 PM

1 Like

Thank you for working through those steps, and for sending over these images.

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.