Top-Down Footprint Requirement

Yeah, I was pointing out that there are more printers than meets the eye. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks! This lends credence to my 6 inch assumption. One inch for attachment area, 4 inches diameter, one inch ID bend radius.

1 Like

We’ll just have GF Basic units there, no air filters or Pro units AFAIK.

Re: dimensions, I forgot to grab a tape measure at the office today, will try to measure Monday. “6” from back-of-filter/Glowforge to wall" is a safe bet but I believe it’s less.

8 Likes

Whoops, my mistake! I’ve pulled my post as not to mislead anyone…

@dan I realize you are really busy, but I just wanted to see if you or someone in your office will please take a minute to confirm this dimension. I am currently rather nervous about getting the shipping email and not having a space to put the GlowForge that I have waited so impatiently for! Thank you!!

1 Like

Just to clarify something.
@ben1, Have you ordered a filter? If you have, then the dimensions change somewhat. You don’t have to worry about the curve in the vent pipe, because you don’t have one, but there is the issue of venting from the filter.
As I understood your OP, you do have a filter?

As far as I understand, the filter is connected to the glowforge by a 4" diameter pipe that connects between the two similar to elbow macaroni. It’s that pipe that @ben1 is concerned about fitting in his space, not a vent pipe.

1 Like

@bridget I have ordered a filter. I am concerned about the total need for footprint space for the Glowforge and the filter, when assembled, and their need for open airspace around the assembled unit for safe operation.

My current understanding is that there is a u-bend that connects the output of the Glowforge with the filter and this u-bend is what I am concerned with as it seems it will protrude beyond the currently advertised footprint of the Glowforge. I would like to get at the least the total protrusion of this U-bend past the back wall of the Glowforge and filter so that I can install the Glowforge on a rolling cart to roll it into and out of its storage space safely. The cart will be moving parallel to the long dimension of the Glowforge.

Thanks!

1 Like

@dan Is there any way someone can please confirm this information for me? I will really appreciate it. I know you are busy.

If every inch wasn’t at a premium for me I would go with the first remark that 6 inches would be enough but if I can manage to eke out another three inches that will give me more room for other things.

Thanks!!

Realistically, you need to be emailing support@glowforge.com for this request.

It gets tracked and they have the time to interact with the technical/engineering teams.

3 Likes

Thanks! Done.