Tracking down leaks

Thanks, Jules. That looks like a MUCH better quick-disconnect. The one I am using is really flimsy, and I am sure is not sealing well. Where did you get that one?

1 Like

My quick-disconnect likes to leak too. One other question: what’s the prevailing wind direction? If you’re trying to exhaust into the wind you can have problems. Oh, and how’s the seal around the panel that’s blocking the window?

1 Like

It’s actually two parts - one is the end cap flap things, and the other is a two-part Quick Disconnect, which makes it possible to caulk the pieces where they are permanently attached to the hose and flap cap.

I think we got that at Lowe’s. (Might have been Home Depot though, they both should carry similar products in the dryer hose connection section.)

Not when they are sitting in a zip-lock bag.

1 Like

The whole window connection is suspect. Lots of sealing I need to do there. Wind shouldn’t be an issue as it’s venting into a narrow space began houses.

Where did you find your hose? :grinning:

This is the hose:

http://a.co/5IshSF7

It is very sturdy, and the flexible material is almost sticky - makes a good seal.

2 Likes

Two things:

• instead of a disconnect, how about using a blast gate.
  • most sliding windows leave an open gap between the frame of the sliding window and the glass of the stationary one. Use something to block this.

You can see what I did, including links to products in this post:

I still had some leaks on my first print. I have now sealed both ends (I hope) with foil tape.

Also, since you’ve been running yours for a while in the garage, you may want to check the fan’s screen for blockage.

2 Likes

I considered a blast gate, but my thought was that this would leak even worse. I don’t see any way for a blast gate NOT to leak.

Good point about the gap between window sections - I will check that.

It’s a pretty tight fit between the slide and housing.

What, she can smell them unlit through a plastic bag? What happens when you light one?

I have used them a few times to study airflow but we normally burn them to make the house smell nice. They don’t smell unlit and I am hyper sensitive to smells. I can’t stand perfume.

These things were powerful. Just touching them left a residue that seemingly smelled forever. Took days for the smell to go away after I threw them out.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I sealed up the window vent, and got rid of the quick disconnect (for now). I’ll have to run some more tests, but I think this has mostly solved the issue.

6 Likes

I’m glad you were able to resolve this! I’m going to close this thread, but if you have any more questions, please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.