Trains

All these little buildings lately make me want to show off some of the things I’ve been working on. I’ve been a wargammer for years and when I got a laser cutter of course I decided I needed to design some scenery for my games. Here’s a set of train tracks and a train that I came up with.

56 Likes

That’s nice finishing work. Care to share your process a bit?

4 Likes

Nice job! Love to hear some process detail, too!

2 Likes

Thanks, I work in rhino so I drew all these parts out there. I don’t really sketch much I kinda just doodle around with the 3d model until I get it the way I want it to look. I’ve found a couple scripts that make adding the little finger joints easy. From there it was pretty easy to lay them all flat and export cut files.

I also made assembly guides for those I used rhino to generate the exploded views and then put it all together in indesign.

The cut files are on thingverse if you want to try it out.

4 Likes

Nice details!
I thought the first photo was a train track inspired creature! :laughing:

2 Likes

Those elevated tracks are PRIMO! I love them. And your paint job is awesome too.

I would love to see a picture of it on a table. Did you make enough of them to have a full track?

Great job.

1 Like

The tracks are fantastic. Trains are great too!

1 Like

Are the tracks meant to look like creatures, or is that just coincidence?

2 Likes

that is really cool.

Wow, you should post a pic of the complete set up. It must be awesome.

It’s not the best picture but here’s a table I set up

11 Likes

That was just a happy little coincidence.

1 Like

Looks great! Your train is awesome, and I love that a warhammer crate fits on the wagon.

I sell some laser-cut terrain on Etsy (and at local game events before Covid). Here’s a table I put together: Miniature Gaming Terrain

2 Likes

Those two sections of track look like creatures waiting to be called into battle.

1 Like