I just attempted to do a transfer using the leftover backing sheet from some vinyl. This stuff gets thrown out, and I would love to find a way to reuse it. Cutting down the few scraps I had on hand to 8.5x11 seemed like a good start.
First attempt was using backing from some 3M1080-series wrap film.
It did not work well at all. The wrap film backing has texture to it (which is what forms the air-release channels in the vinyl) and too much of the ink got down into those channels, subsequently not transferring.
Second attempt was with backing from some Orocal951-series sign vinyl. It looked pretty bad coming out of the printer, but I went ahead anyway, onto one of the squares of baltic birch ply that I have waiting patiently to be fed to the glowforge.
Much better looking than I hoped for, but with some issues. The yellow & red ‘sunburst’ is on point. The blue is also good. The skully on the blue shirt is 100K Black and looks terrible. The character outlines and text are Rich Black, and while the color is fine, there is some serious bleeding.
Not really too surprising to me because the ink on the printout was already beading up by the time i pulled it from the printer, and I didn’t sand or treat the wood in any way. I honestly thought it would fail outright. Different printer settings will have lots of effect on the process. I will play with this more in the future, of that I am sure.