Transfer Tape Dispenser

Here is a Transfer Tape Dispenser that I came up with. This is the 5 version. When I printed this out I did not print the words, I just had them on there for reference. Some have said that it was better to have a hole at the bottom and dispense the tape that way. In one of my versions I did just that and I did not prefer the outcome. I had to keep rethreading the tape through the bottom hole. For me this version works quite well. I have made the one you see out of 1/4" Baltic Birch but it works well with 1/4 MDF. There is a cutting edge SVG I added to the zip file if you wanted to include it. I myself prefer to cut with a knife at the wood.Tape Dispenser 5.zip (11.5 KB)(11.5 KB)

2021-03-09T07:00:00Z
Forgot to give the dimensions…, 13.25" x 8" x 8" on the box. The PVC Pipe is 3/4" ID or 1"OD then I just used a couple of T’s to keep it in place. Those round things on the top part fit in the ends of the transfer paper to use as spools in case your transfer paper did not come with some.

117 Likes

Very nice, thanks for the share!

3 Likes

Thank you. I’ve been thinking about building one of these. I guess now is a good time.

2 Likes

Nice and neat, thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Thank you!

2 Likes

That is a wonderful design. Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

I’d love to see a video of you using this :smiley:
I kind of want to make this, but then I think my roll of masking would take up more space.

Right now I don’t have any dispenser, and it’s not too hard to work with. I’m curious how much easier applying the masking becomes with a dispenser like this :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you so much.

2 Likes

This is built a whole lot like a box for aluminum foil. You take ahold of the tape and pull some out, I then place it on the wood and match up the edges and smooth it out. Once I have done that I use a utility knife and cut along the edge of the material so it matches perfectly. I will then do the other side the same way and when done roll any extra back onto the roll.

5 Likes

Awesome, thank you!

2 Likes

Thank you thank you thank you! I’m in the UK and finding 300mm transfer tape alone was a mission! When looking for a dispenser online to fit my tape, I realised I’m looking at between £50 to £100 for a decent one - so I set out to find one I could make and It seems I found it already!

I’m a newbie but I reckon I could give this one a bash! Cheers fella!

5 Likes

You are quite welcome! I am a newbie myself, only had my Glowforge for a week and a half. I hope it works out for you!

2 Likes

one issue I have run into with free-standing dispensers is the whole thing shifting on you at the worst moment. Some ways around this: a lip in the back that can catch on the edge of the table, tabs that stick out for clamping, or my favorite, holes in the back big enough to fit the arm of a clamp

16 Likes

Well done!

3 Likes

I bet that would work better than my bicycle basket that I am currently using :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I would guess that could be true!

2 Likes

Very kind of you to share! Thank you!

1 Like

Totally awesome. Thanks so much for sharing!

3 Likes

Fantastic idea, thanks so much for sharing!

2 Likes

Totally cool!

3 Likes