Transfer Tape Dispenser

I was working on Glowforging a smaller version of something similar for heat tape and various rolls of other tape (i just haven’t finished it yet) and am using a hacksaw blade (similar to the aluminum foil box idea as mentioned above by @kizby ). :smiley:

1 Like

The first design for this one actually was more like a regular tape dispenser with a blade I made out of acrylic. I found that cutting the transfer tape before applying it to the medium was a bit more difficult. (hence why this is the 5th version). Making smaller versions for Heat tape and other tapes seems like a good idea, even to make one that holds multiple rolls of tape side by side.

2 Likes

Ohh that’s a great point!

Yeah that’s what I was going to do - make it for multiple rolls of tape side by side. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! I fight with the transfer tape constantly -I’m afraid my coordination has always been sub-optimal. I am going to try this with the addition of holes to clamp it down.

2 Likes

have you seen the cold laminator machines that apply masking? Something like that might help you.

2 Likes

Truth!

This is my dispenser, which is admittedly not laser-cut, but it predates my Glowforge… I made this when I got my vinyl cutter. I have done some large commercial windows signs and needed to apply giant swathes of transfer tape smoothly.

I do clamp it to the work table… it is so much easier to use when you can pull on the paper with 2 hands. (I’ll actually wrap the end of the paper on a yardstick or other w-i-d-e implement so I can hold and pull that instead of the paper itself… makes it easier to get a good pull without tearing.)

The bar in front is so you can pull the paper up and out instead needing to pull it straight off the roll. The commercial designs I looked at all worked this way and it worked for me.

9 Likes

Nice!

I have a length of PVC pipe that I use occasionally in the same manner. nice and lightweight!

7 Likes

Non stick,too.

1 Like