Transfer tape for woods

New to glowforge and so many options for the tape that you put on your wood. Some threads talk about vinyl which is confusing to me. I am looking for recommendations for the tape that you put on top of the wood prior to making cuts. Please attach link or full name of the product that you recommend.

I use regular blue or yellow painters tape. (Cheapest I can get from Home Depot or Lowes.) It comes in different widths – I use the 1" all the time, and the 2" for wider things. I think there is much wider tape, but I only work on small stuff.

3 Likes

Masking Paper
I buy this from Amazon.

4 Likes

They are most likely referring to the fact that it is generally known as vinyl transfer tape - used to transfer cut vinyl (on a vinyl cutter) to another surface. It comes in various forms, including paper which is what is used for the laser.

3 Likes

Thank you I have it on order! One more question please. Do you apply to both sides? If so can you tell me why.

I don’t but you can get flashback from the reflection off the crumb tray. If that is something that matters then you may want to do both sides.

1 Like

… or just lay your material on a piece of paper. Much easier and equally effective, in my experience.

2 Likes

That’s what I use as well.

2 Likes

I picked up a roll of that one shown above. I have a lot left on the original roll I bought years ago, but I need to mask a very large piece for a pass-thru job, and there’s no way I’d be able to get several feet off the original roll in one piece - it’s very hard to work with. No point sharing a link, it’s not been sold for quite some time (for good reason!)

1 Like

For applying sticky stuff to big sheets one of these is your best friend (pair with some kind of roll holder is even better)

https://a.co/d/45cUe2X

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.