Travelers chess set

i purchased this plan from the store and was about to buy the proofgrade materials to print it - the example is plywood and draft board (both thick). Will the plans work with both prints using thick plywood, I was thinking basswood and walnut for contrast. I want to confirm that the slots cut out will be the proper size for the thickness of the boards (using proof grade thick plywood

You didn’t link to the plan - but presuming the depths are the same, they should work…there is some depth variation even in the beloved :proofgrade: so be sure to measure and test before cutting an entire project!

It was a simple rectangle cut out with some engraved text. My position is that if I have to test cut proofgrade to make sure it works with proofgrade settings then there is no purpose to paying more for proofgrade materials

You don’t have to buy Proofgrade materials. You can use anything that is the same thickness.

Proofgrade in my experience has better uniformity than anything else I’ve tried in the last couple of years, and will be the least likely to create problems with fit, since the slots were designed for use with Proofgrade. But let me mention that Proofgrade, like any other manufactured material, can warp and swell with humidity and it is possible to see some of the same issues that you will see with other materials. It just won’t happen as regularly.

If you’re expecting 100% perfect completely uniform results every single time, you won’t get it. Your odds are better though, of getting something that fits with the Proofgrade.

Since the draftboard is actually more likely to swell than the plywood, your results should be fine if you choose to use all plywood. (Some gluing might be needed, but the slots should be large enough.)

3 Likes

Thanks for the answer @Jules, that’s right. I’m going to close this thread - if you have any other questions, go ahead and post a new topic.