Traveler's Flat Pack Chess Set

I purchased this design and printed out all the pieces on thick MDF (proofgrade) the bottom peg of the pieces seems too big for the board holes - has anyone else printed this successfully?

2 Likes

Is it too big in the cut direction or too big in the material thickness direction? Maybe its meant to be cut from the medium MDF? Just guessing here.

1 Like

I have not tried but I see this on the design: Materials: Thick Acrylic (Approx 1/4 in.), Thick Plywood (Approx 1/4 in.). SO I would check my thickness of the wood you have.

it seems too big in the thickness direction - does anyone have anyone actual measurements of the thick plywoods - some say 3/16 and some say 1/4 - the slots in the board seem to be closer to 3/16

Range of 0.192 inches to 0.200 inches on the five sheets I just grabbed and measured. (I use a lot of thick materials.)

do you use any of the thick acrylics? - I just ordered a new dial caliper so when I get home I’m going to measure the inside widths of the slots - I wish you could edit the designs you purchase on the glow forge site (or maybe you can and I have not figured it out yet. I really love the flat pack chess set, but it would be nice to be able to adjust the slot size based on the material

Okay, I finally had a chance to go and look at that design…I’ll bet the problem is with the thick acrylic layer.

If you are trying to cut this out of acrylic, you have another issue to deal with and that is heat slump. Thick acrylic melts and slumps towards the bottom, so you get a buildup in the bottom half of the slot that causes inserts to fit too tightly. My suggestion if you want to recut the acrylic part is to cut the acrylic part with two passes. It’s the nature of acrylic. The second pass will even out the profile on the slots.

Or if you don’t want to waste the piece you already have cut, I’d try sanding the hole just a little bit with an emery board on the acrylic to allow the pieces to fit. Once it is encased in the plywood top and bottom, you’ll never see it.

3 Likes

If you need thicker slots and you know how many arrow clicks it takes to move something from where it looks lined up but you know it’s not because of the up to 1/4" error margin, then you can create some boxes the size of the slot you need and drag & drop them on to the design. It will still cut the design’s slot but will also cut your bigger slot.

Of course it might be quicker to pull out a nail file it it’s not a ton of slots and they’re not too far off :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m hoping to make this for my kids for Christmas. Can I use PG med draft board? It is not 1/4 so would the pieces be too loose?

I’m not sure how far the tabs on the bottom of the pieces extend, since I don’t have a copy of that file…they might stick out too far if you tried to make it from medium thickness instead of thick thickness materials.

(Might not too…I just don’t know.) :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m so sorry your print didn’t come out perfectly.

Can you tell me the time and date of the Proofgrade Thick Draftboard print?

3 days ago

the directions call for thick material

Yeah I saw that. :slightly_smiling_face:

@pip needs to know the date and time of the print so he can look at the logs for your machine and pinpoint your specific data to see if there is something wrong with your machine. Be as specific as you can if you want to get a quicker answer. The longer he has to search, the longer you have to wait to hear. xssssssss
(My kitten is helping me…) :smile:

yea the thick draft board was almost exactly .250 but the slot cutout was about .230

I sincerely apologize for the late reply. We were able to find some prints of this design on 12/4 but weren’t able to see Proofgrade QR codes on any of the prints.

Could you please send us a photo of the Proofgrade Thick Draftboard that is 0.25" thick?

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.