Triangle gluing jig

I found myself needing to glue a boatload of equilateral triangles. They are made of long skinny double-layer thick Draftboard, for a total of 1/2” thick. I tried holding them together by hand but that just wasn’t cutting it. So I whipped up a gluing jig in Illustrator and it’s doing the job pretty well.

Made from 1/4” Draftboard and 1/8” Draftboard. The thicker piece is smaller and is sandwiched between two 1/8” pieces, to create a channel for the long rubber band.

If you’d like to make one for yourself, here’s the file; cut the blue lines out of 1/4” and the black lines out of 1/8”. And of course you will need an appropriately sized rubber band.

Triangle gluing jig.svg

64 Likes

The real question is, how many times did you snap the rubber band against your hand getting it on there? Just me? Ok then :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s really cool. I always regret not making gluing jigs when I’m stuck holding something for way too long! Good on you for DOING it :slight_smile:

16 Likes

You may need to laser on some text to the fact that while using the gluing jig, the user should avoid applying the glue in his/her hair. Safety first! Litigation last! :nerd_face:

9 Likes

Yeah, well I’ve got 14 of these things to do and a complete lack of patience. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

thanks! I’ll bet I need it in a few days and I’ll be so glad you shared.

3 Likes

LOVE a good practical cut project. I attempt to be a small time woodworker and it never dawned on me to cut something similar to help with glue-ups. Great job and thanks for the inspiration!

6 Likes

That’s pretty crafty girl, but we knew you were clever. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hmmm… Now I am thinking variations of this for my cubes. Thanks for the inspiration!

2 Likes

Brilliant!

3 Likes

Excellent solution and problem solving!

2 Likes
2 Likes

That might actually be slightly worse than the narwhal song…

2 Likes

Ooo share!!!

Do you mean to tell me you’ve been on the forum for years and never heard the Narwhal song? Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

5 Likes

I missed this! It’s kind of like when I see a @designvh619 design that I’ve missed, and had no excuse to miss it!

Though this doesn’t hold a candle to

4 Likes

Nice thanks for sharing

1 Like

Very clever! Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Oh. Oh no you didn’t!! :rofl:

1 Like

I love me some They Might Be Giants!!

Great jig @cynd11, now please you have to show us what you made with all those triangles.

3 Likes