Trick for tight fits around dowels

For getting a very tight fit around a dowel, with less risk of breaking your wooden piece when you force it on, add some tiny teeth to your hole. You can use the Star tool in your vector editor. My teeth are usually 0.2mm–0.7mm, depending on application.

teeth

IMG_7295

The points of the teeth are sacrificial and will get crushed. (This is for wooden pieces only, not acrylic.) It also compensates for the imprecision of the dowel’s shape.

It works well for delicate clock hands too. For those, I used teeth of 0.1mm.

40 Likes

Oh slick. Reminds me of this gem from 2018:

19 Likes

Yep, exactly the same principle.

9 Likes

You are such a wonderful source of really useful information. You could teach a class!

12 Likes

That is a very cool tip, thank you! One that I believe I’ll find very useful.

13 Likes

Thanks for all the tips!!

5 Likes

I appreciate the tip! Thank you!

5 Likes

what @cynd11 said!

3 Likes

Most excellent! Thank you.

2 Likes

I’m doing a project with a bunch of servos that have a similar pattern on the horn. Hadn’t thought about using the star tool (did the design in fusion 360).

5 Likes

Did you ever wonder why the professional dowels already have teeth? and it is not only for a tight fit but mainly to let the air and glue out in potholes….
!dow

8 Likes

In addition, I believe those fluted dowels are designed to expand slightly when saturated with glue, to make the fit tighter.

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.