Triskele Fun

From a post back in 2018, I got hooked on the idea of reverse engineering the geometry of a triskele. [thanks, @evansd2]. It’s easy to figure out how to generate the shapes, if you have any drafting experience. Since I need to get back my Illustrator skills, I decided to work it out in software.

I’ve put several of these together so far, and have two more waiting to be assembled. The earlier post suggested a paper weight of 80-100 lbs. I got a sheet of 80# paper and found it too resistant to being shaped due to the thickness of the sheet.

At a paper store, I showed the owner what I wanted to make, and she gave me several sheets to try out. I’m not sure what weight this paper is:

Lines were scored, teardrops were engraved.

Nice, but boring. I don’t have great hand graphics skill and don’t want to copy someone else’s work, so I thought I’d let the paper do the work:

This is from a papercrafting book of pattern papers I bought a few years ago. I didn’t know what to do with them back then, but I sure do now!

I get better as I go and they are fun to make. Now that I know just how to press and support the scores, I have no problems once I have the paper rings properly interlaced.

I know this design has been done a bunch before, but sometimes ‘old is new’. i’m going to make a bunch for friends for the holidays.

Edit: 2nd photo includes my cat, Sam, considering it as a cat toy. Too big, I think…and now I’m in trouble. I wonder how small i can make these…

35 Likes

those are really great!

3 Likes

Hi Sam!

Those are super cool, I really must try those. If you are into paper 3D Art, you should check out this site:

And here’s some more eye candy I stumbled across while searching for that link:

6 Likes

Thanks for the inspiration. These are lovely, and your friends will love getting them.

3 Likes

Two beautiful rabbit holes!

3 Likes

@cynd11 Oh, wow. Big rabbit hole!

@kelley1 I’ve always liked the triskeles, but never done one. Glad you brought the topic back to life!

4 Likes

So cool!

2 Likes

So awesome. Love the different patterns too. Thank you for the write up.

4 Likes

You’re welcome. I must make a video of how I did it. The one shown in the post I referenced at the beginning is a good starting point, but I’ve learned some subtle details that make it a snap.

@cynd11 Thanks for the links! As a weaver and laser lover, I find this very appealing. Yep, another wonderful rabbit hole. [There ought to be a badge for this.]

3 Likes

Glad you like it. Here’s one I finished this morning. Made from a map I’d picked up to do some decopage but never got a round tuit.

it did become a cat toy for a few minutes. Sam and I batted it back and forth until it went just out of his reach. Then, meh…

9 Likes

I love Triskeles - I just don’t know what to do with them once I’ve made them. You can only have so many hanging around the house!

5 Likes

Yes, please do a video!

3 Likes

Fun! Love the maps!

4 Likes

These are great. The map is my favorite!

4 Likes

Now you can blow minds by the way you wrap Christmas packages :partying_face:

3 Likes

Map for the win!

1 Like

@ptodd and @arh2 I’m pawing through my atlas right now. (Love the local used book store!)

2 Likes