Trouble cutting proofgrade with default settings

Hello,

My GlowForge, which has worked fine for years, is no longer making a deep enough cut through proofgrade materials using the default settings. I was using 1/8" medium maple plywood and I recently cleaned all of the lenses. To get the cut properly I needed to change the settings to perform 2 passes. It’s worth noting that the problem seemed to coincide with an update where the glowforge was supposed to run faster, but I can’t confirm that’s the issue.

Thank you for the help.
-Andy

Hi Andy! You’ve opened a support ticket by posting in Problems and Support, so someone from GF will be along to help you soon. The first thing they’re going to ask you for is photos of the front and back of the Gift of Good Measure printed with default settings on PG medium draftboard, so if you want to save some time, you could go ahead and do that and get those photos posted while you’re waiting. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the heads up. “Gift of Good Measure”??? Is that a specific print, or are you asking me to post a picture of anything for them to see the issue?
-andy

That’s a Glowforge-provided file that lets them judge quality against known parameters. It should be on your home screen, or you can download it from the catalog for free. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m having the same problem it was working fine the day before but now it’s not. I’ve only had my GF for like a month :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Below are my obligatory Gift of Good measure tests as reccomended. I had to cut on Medium Maple Plywood since I’m out of draft board. As you can see some of the engraving is lighter than expected and the cut didn’t even burn the back side. I usually get some burn on the back, but not enough to cut through completely.

IMG_8749

1 Like

You’ll need to start your own thread in Problems and Support, since it opens a support ticket. There can only be one customer per ticket. :slight_smile:

Thanks, @geek2nurse for the help in speeding up the troubleshooting. I would like to check over just a few more things. Could you do the following for me?

Please send photos of all your cleaned optical components, with special attention to any damage you might find:

• Both windows
    • The printer head window, on the left-hand side of the printer head
    • The laser window on the inside left of the Glowforge
  • The printer head lens
    • Both sides of the lens, top, and bottom
  • The mirror inside the printer head
  • The bottom of the printer head

Once we have those pictures, we’ll follow up with the next steps.

Images Below

Thank you for working through those steps. I’ve extracted the log files from your Glowforge once again, and compared it with all of the details you’ve provided.

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the best next steps. I’m so sorry about the bad news. I will now close this thread.