Trouble with engraving shapes inside of shapes

So I have a big star with a little star on the inside. I want the Glowforge to engrave in between the 2 stars and I can’t seem to figure it out. It’s basically ignoring that there is a little star inside of the big star and it wants to engrave the whole inside of the big star, which would obviously completely cover up the small star. I want the inside of the small star to be left open, no engraving - I just want the area between the 2 stars to be engraved. What am I doing wrong and how do I fix this?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

You need to merge the two stars and delete the small one from the large one. There are instructions on here - let me go dig them up for you (they’ll vary depending on what program you’re using - so what is your vector art program?)

2 Likes

I use both Inkscape and Illustrator, so whichever one would be easier to do it in would work for me.

1 Like

Beautiful - in Inkscape select both stars - give them a fill color - and then click Path > Exclusion. Totally easy :slight_smile:

(If you can’t see this, let me know and I’ll post a link from elsewhere)

*You don’t actually have to fill them, but I find it easier to see what I’ve done when I do :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thank you so much, I’ll give it a shot right now!

4 Likes

It worked perfect! Thanks again!!

4 Likes

Thanks for the answer @deirdrebeth! I’m going to close this thread - if the problem reoccurs, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this!

1 Like