Trying to connect next to my wifi hotspot fails to connect

Brand new GW user here and trying to connect it up and it just won’t connect. I’ve tried a Mac, a phone, and Pixel book, nada. I keep getting a “Glowforge didn’t connect” error about the password being wrong (it isn’t), not being a 2…4 ghz (it should be - it’s a new Nest Wifi), security config preventing it (nothing special here), and signal not being strong enough (the computers are literally 2 feet from the hotspot). I’m pretty stumped on what to do here. Anyone have any experience connecting to a Nest?

I have seen more than a few cases where the wifi was too close. At least 6 or 8 feet works best. I have no idea about newest tech though.

Try using your phone as a hotspot and see if the machine can connect to that.

That will eliminate the machine as being the source of the problem.

I’ve seen some complaints online about the Nest Wifi not accepting 2.4 GHz connections readily. If it’s trying to force the GF to use 5GHz the connection will fail, since GF can’t do that.

1 Like

Hello @sonny, thank you for reaching out to us. I’m sorry you’ve had a rough start getting your Glowforge connected.

I extracted some logs from our end to investigate, and it looks like your unit is connecting to your network and to our servers successfully, but still needs to download and apply a necessary update. This may take several minutes.

Could you please do the following for me?

1. Turn the Glowforge on (only use the switch on the back - there’s no need to push the button on the top of the Glowforge for these steps)
  2. Wait about three to five minutes
  3. Let me know if you see or hear any activity from the Glowforge.

If the Glowforge reboots and the printer head begins to move, please sign in at app.glowforge.com. If you don’t see any motion or the Glowforge rebooting after ten minutes, please reply and let me know.

Thank you!

That did it! Thank you!

1 Like

Hey @sonny, that is great news! Thank you for letting me know.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out again should you need anything. We’re happy to help!