Tube Health Status

I would think the tracking of interactions in the software is less of a concern there than uploading of said designs to be stored in a remote database somewhere. That’s always a little unsettling. I’ve been doing it for years on other sites though

7 Likes

Yeah, the camera and design transfer through the cloud basically prevents me getting one for work…would have been a perfect solution otherwise for one of the marking of material issues we are dealing with.

2 Likes

Well, we’ll have to read their Ts&Cs carefully. For all we know they’re capturing all sorts of other information. Our IP address. The website we came from before going to the Glowforge app. Things they can use to sell marketing information. Google Analytics data. It’s all something to consider. Won’t likely bother me (unless it in any way impacts my bandwidth) but some folks are rather particular about their privacy. And then there’s your intellectual property… Do all designs remain yours when uploaded to their servers? Is that spelled out anywhere?

2 Likes

this concern pops up from time to time. there are no public documents so i dunno what they might say but @dan has been very explicit about user designs remaining the sole property of the user until and unless they are placed into the catalog (which is something you would have to initiate).

7 Likes

Almost everything on the internet tracks as much about you as possible. It’s become a sensing network. Some apps(fb) have even been reported to run your cell phone mic picking up what you say looking for keywords for targeted advertising purposes. If anyone is worried about glowforge, you should look into what everyone else does. It’s crazy

6 Likes

Let’s not start that rumor up again. To be clear, FB doesn’t do that. I could find the Snopes report, but I’ll leave that to the skeptics. :slight_smile:

But, yes… Websites capture whatever data they say they capture. Just something some people may be concerned about when using SaaS and they’re used to traditional, on-machine applications.

1 Like

My suggestion is to use duckduckgo.com as your search engine - It does not track you like google does.

This way you don’t have to be paranoid when you say look at some item in amazon, and a few hours later when on a different site you see adds for that same amazon product.

And the search result quality is pretty good.

I’ve always found this feature both helpful and entertaining, especially when I was looking at something that I thought was ridiculous and then companies waste their advertising dollars showing it to me on other sites for the next few days. This isn’t to say I don’t care about privacy, but advertising snooping isn’t where I spend my worry dollars, but that’s just me.

1 Like

It’s always how I know my girlfriend has been on my iPad or my computer. Suddenly there’s underwear and makeup adds popping up mixed with the RC toys and robotics gear :laughing:

16 Likes

Yea, I get that too! Or if my boys have been on it’s minecraft and video games (at least that’s my story and I’m sticking to it!)

5 Likes

The “recommended for you” section of just about any site/service on my tablet is absolutely embarrassing from multi-kid use.

4 Likes

That’s the thing. They don’t do it now, but there are a lot of companies that take a lot of liberties until they’re caught.

Couple weeks ago there was an app that made you look like anime going around. It was quickly found that it was grabbing anything it could on your phone and sending that info back home. There were tons of warnings on Facebook and message boards, and people were still installing it after those warnings.

Alexa and Cortana listen to everything that’s said constantly. Who knows to what extent they’re caching keywords etc.

4 Likes

i’m pretty sure most of the appliance voice assistants specifically mention doing local only kw listening then dialling in. it’d be easy enough to check bandwidth logs for evidence.

2 Likes

yeah thats why I said ‘caching’. :wink:

just for fun lol

10 Likes

sure, the way you put it just sounded too conspiratorial for my tastes :V

2 Likes

If I wanted to get around this id just hold onto all the data I needed to send, and attach it to the payload the next time a call home is initiated by the user. Or play it off as diagnostic data. or reference ids with counts. Theres a lot of ways to make data like that almost untraceable.

2 Likes

sure, but it’s just going to get analyzed more and more and if it’s there, i’m convinced it’ll be outed.

1 Like

Have multiple different methods of encrypting and storing data in outgoing streams with an invisible key designating which method was used so pattern identification fails on detecting anything unless you have a massive store of hundreds/thousands of requests to analyze simultaneously. even then it could just be played off as part of a container

4 Likes

Remind me to stay on your good side

2 Likes

given amazon’s software experience thus far i’m not expecting cia level opsec from them