Tutorial: How to cut without the Crumb Tray (Honeycomb)

thanks for the update!

1 Like

Well even if the GF would do it itself, for safety you need to make sure you are clear of the nozzle so you donā€™t hang up on the head.

3 Likes

Thanks so much, graham. Are you able to define each of the terms on the calculator you invented? Iā€™m engraving a clear plate, so the plate itself is 1/8"thick, but the height of the plate when turned upside down is 3/4" (this includes the empty space underneath the pate when turned upside down), so the plate itself isnā€™t thick, but it is ā€œtall.ā€ Hence, I donā€™tknow what to putin thecalculator for the thickness questions. And I also donā€™t know what the"desired new height above the tray"is or how to get that info.

2 Likes

Question. I know this thread is from a few months ago. Newbie here. Wouldnā€™t it be easier without all those calculations and measuring, to take the crumb tray out and place on a level surface. Then put whatever material you want to engrave and place it right next to the crumbtray. Put shims or materials under your material and make sure you measure against the crumbtray to make sure the top is somewhere in that 1/2 inch zone you have to be in? Just askingā€¦ Newbie here.

5 Likes

Great question! Yes, you could certainly measure against the crumb tray. (The thread is very oldā€¦ when it was written, we did not have the Set Focus function, and had to do it with math.)

6 Likes

Jules is right (as always :stuck_out_tongue: ) and the set focus has made some of the old tray info a bit outdated. The set focus feature made tray calculations really easy and all you have to do is get the material somewhere in the right height range and the GF will do the rest.

6 Likes

Yeah, so while you donā€™t need the math like we old timers used to, you do need a rough guesstimate to get the material in the focal range. (and to figure out how much stuff to pile underneath to do so.)

7 Likes

I have the same lino stamp blocks from inventibles. I tried using them then realized the height was too much for the GF. Have you figured out a template or shallower bed covering that would allow for a cardboard template to be cut to hold those blocks in place so you could position designs and center them.
I was also wondering about the settings.
I scanned these amazing antique wood blocks with the idea of reproducing them sadly the gfui did not allow for any serious editing of scanned items when I scanned them. I wanted to add a line of simple text which seamed impossible.

If youā€™re generally happy with the scan results (I just use a scanner for most things now as the GF doesnā€™t do a great scan to begin with), you should be able to create a separate file with the line of text you want and drag that file into the GF user interface with the scanned image. The GFUI isnā€™t meant for much editing at all.

2 Likes

thanks, I was wondering if it was just me. Good to know others have found similar limitations

1 Like

Well, if you count stacking scraps of proofgrade a ā€œtemplateā€, then sure. Thatā€™s not a problem, and when I did the Lino blocks (with @Joe) during the PRU days, which prompted me to write this tutorial which is no longer relevant with the set-focus command. I didnā€™t know any better. As for settings as with most things you can just start with at the built in maple-plywood settings and work from there as needed.

BTW: I found the Lino blocks arenā€™t great stamps compared to the dedicated laser stamp materials Iā€™ve used which are as good as any custom stamp Iā€™ve ordered through staples. As @cynd11 noted, I totally didnā€™t think about using clear acrylic on the handle to be able to see through the stampā€¦ (but theyā€™ve been using the stamp at the hospital since 2/18 and itā€™s worked great)

3 Likes

I am very much a visual personā€¦and this graphic proved it better than allā€¦I immediately understood so thank you soooooooooooo very much!! This made all the difference in the world!

2 Likes

Youā€™re welcome and this makes me very happy to hear and Iā€™m glad it helped. :heart: Iā€™m a visual learner as well so itā€™s how I tend to explain things as.

2 Likes

OMG Did this work? :star_struck:

1 Like

I so had never thought of that ā€¦ and there is a couple of tubs conveniently located in the same roomā€¦ wonder if my adult son would notice if a handful appeared inside the GF? Iā€™ll probably be disinheritedā€¦if thatā€™s a thing.

3 Likes

:rofl:

And now thanks to John Saunders at NYCCNC we have a machinable LEGO removal tool:

3 Likes

Got the Lego version of that in a ship model last year. Never needed it before & still havenā€™t used it.

Thanks - I just did my first engrave on a box I made and forgot to engrave before I made it ā€˜a boxā€™. This worked a dream.

haha, been there done that. itā€™s why in my CNC milling class I took, one of their hints was leave yourself a reference point that you an touch off of if you have to redo machining operations. They always recommended the top geometric center since the part will always have one of those regardless of what youā€™ve cut away. I canā€™t tell you the number of times I get ā€œdoneā€ and realize, oh yeah, skipped that step didnā€™t Iā€¦

4 Likes