Two questions

:slightly_smiling_face: sometimes pictures help.

4 Likes

Awesome proof. Thanks!
Like I said, i find this behavior to be unintuitive since no design app does things that way. I think it’s not a good idea.

1 Like

Hahahahaha! Punchy is good!

3 Likes

My brain works in pictures to Xabbess!

1 Like

That was really helpful, thanks so much!

1 Like

Just speaks to one thing: I do my bitmap processing with bitmap software and recommend you do the same. All that control does is preprocess the bitmap.

Note that we do not document nor recommend the use of manual settings, although of course you’re welcome to experiment.

If I remember correctly, we use that particular setting for our Proofgrade presets to ensure that the lightest non-white setting removes the protective coating. There was a long-ago popular forum request to include all settings that go into Proofgrade defaults in the UI, so we decided to try it - aware that it might cause more frustration and upset than not. If that is the case, then my apologies. It’s not a very useful setting for anything other than its intended purpose, and I would personally recommend never touching it.

5 Likes

I suspect I speak for many when I say that seeing the actual settings for Proofgrade defaults in the UI is very, very helpful for giving us a starting point with other materials, and I really hope it never goes away.

13 Likes

@dan Even you may not recommend the use of some settings, I think that you are not explaining what they do is ridiculous. All functions should be detained in a GF manual.

4 Likes

I LOVE manual settings, and the more there can be, the better for me!

I think having a wiki somewhere that could provide this info for people who would like to make use of this would be amazing.

8 Likes

Slightly on topic: I often set Photoshop to default to a lightest setting of 252, 252, 252 and a darkest setting of 4,4,4. When printing (inkjet) the lightest setting ensures some ink is put down on the paper to reduce bronzing.

A similar approach could be used with the laser when engraving. Pure white might leave the surface looking too clean. A low setting might give it enough texture to tie it in with the rest of the engrave.

1 Like

I’m glad you said that. I remember wanting to include that several times as I was writing my walls of text but it got lost in the noise. It does make sense to set the min and max to ensure you burn through the masking and don’t overturn the material, and I can envision a future where you know enough about Proofgrade materials to render a photorealistic preview and allow the user to adjust for the perfect contrast within the app. But the way it is today, people should definitely do their image processing before bringing the file in.

3 Likes

Thank you @dan for including these. Please don’t make any settings hidden from the GFUI that would prevent us from duplicating Proofgrade settings in manual mode.

5 Likes

OR they could just take them away then you wouldn’t have to worry about how ridiculous it is to be able to experiment with PG settings :wink: - IMHO of course.

Trying to parse this, with and without my sarcasm filter. Perplexed.

3 Likes

+1

1 Like

Have you tried it with Proofgrade sarcasm?

5 Likes

Really love that stuff…got such a nice matte finish… :smile:

7 Likes

…but sharp edges.

6 Likes

…and sometimes the masking is really hard to take off.

6 Likes

But Proofgrade Sarcasm comes with a warranted guarantee.
Most non-Proofgrade sarcasm is only either warranted or guaranteed.

Proofgrade sarcasm is both.

5 Likes